Bought a car with Expired Tags

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So how does this work? I bought a car with expired tags. The DMV requires the car be smogged before a sale, but I can't go smog it cause the tags are expired. I bought the car off a buddy so should I just have him get the tags up to date first or if I go to the DMV with the title and pay for everything without the smog, will they give me the new tag so I can go smog it? I would go in and see what happens but they are closed tomorrow. I want to do it the cheapest way possible.

NOTE: This is in CALIFORNIA

1991civicb16

So how does this work? I bought a car with expired tags. The DMV requires the car be smogged before a sale, but I can't go smog it cause the tags are expired. I bought the car off a buddy so should I just have him get the tags up to date first or if I go to the DMV with the title and pay for everything without the smog, will they give me the new tag so I can go smog it? I would go in and see what happens but they are closed tomorrow. I want to do it the cheapest way possible.

NOTE: This is in CALIFORNIA
Well not sure your laws but i just bought one myself with expired tags and whenever you have a change of ownership you need to take it through deq. So even if your friend gets new tags you need to take it through anyways once you get it titled.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The DMV requires the car be smogged before a sale
Here is your answer right here, it would have been better if you had your buddy get this taken care of before buying the car.

Old Man

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You'll need to catch up the registration... Which might require a SMOG anyways. good news for you the smog lasts 90 days, so smog it for registration, and keep an extra copy for Title transfer.

If you're worried about the expired tags, go to DMV and explain the situation, they should give you a 30 day sticker to take care of business.

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I went into the DMV this morning. I just explained to them I bought this car, tags expired so it hasn't been smogged. Paid the registration fees, got a temp tag and was told to come back to get tags after it gets smogged. Legit, thanks everyone.