Bought my DOHC ZC today...

jardine90si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea, I love the fact that turbo would be mad power and stuff. But when I think Honda, and especially ED/EF's, I think wicked, high-revving, N/A, fun cars. But I guess to each his own, lol.

19ef90

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got my DOHC ZC & ECU for my 1990 5 speed Civic Si today. I am not sure if i recieved the correct ECU. The code on the ECU is 37820 - PM5 - C50. I think I read somewhere that the PM5 is for 88-91 Civic DX's, but on the top of the actual ECU it has written "90-91 Integra 5 Speed" in paint. Also, is there anything I should look for on this engine, such as broken parts? Also, how do I identify the year of it? thanks a lot.
the DX should work in the SI.
just your RPM gauge might not work, being that the DX dosent have one..

jardine90si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i already dealt with it. i gave them the ECU back and they gave me $50 back. i dunno, it said it come with an ecu but they told me they can't find the correct one. so im just going to use my Si ecu until i get a PG7 or get lucky and find a PM7 ZC ECU

theidealone

5+ Year Member
You could also look for a P29, if you wanted to convert to OBD1 (thats what Im running, but mine's chipped). There is one for sale on TheZCR.com

The DOHC ZC doesnt have a knock sensor. The only real difference would be the wiring at the distributor. There is are two wires: blue/yellow and blue/green, that need to be ran to the cam angle sensor, which is located on the exhaust cam, same as the dizzy is located on the intake cam. Other than that, it should be a direct swap. If you are using the ZC tranny, theres a half shaft, and other things like that that come into play.

And to answer someone else's question, the PG7 is the OBD0 ECU out of an 88-89 DOHC Integra. The DOHC ZC is a PM7 for OBD0, and P29 for OBD1.

Good luck man. The swap really isnt that hard. Like you said, direct swap, and bolt it up. Its easier than a Mini Me or SOHC VTEC.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the DX should work in the SI.
just your RPM gauge might not work, being that the DX dosent have one..
you cannot use a PM5 in an SI... its set for DPFI... and he needs MPFI.. aside from the tach working... the rest of the car wouldnt start.

19ef90

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my mechanic told me today that the dohc zc requires more work than i though. he said dohc zc has a knock sensor and other sensors that my d16a6 doesn't have and it may not work right or something...anyone know what he could be refering to?
hes prolly a dumb ass that knows nothing about swaps, like the ones around here that told me my check light was bad.
turned out it was because of the swap, sometimes when i downshift.

19ef90

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you cannot use a PM5 in an SI... its set for DPFI... and he needs MPFI.. aside from the tach working... the rest of the car wouldnt start.
i was referring to the tach alone..

jardine90si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i dropped my car off to another shop. told them to do the dohc zc swap into my car and change the timing belt and water pump, so i guess we'll wait and see. do you think they'll know that the timing belt is off a 88 prelude 2.0 si? or should i like give them a call and let them know. i can just see them ordering a regular 88-91 civic/crx timing belt which won't fit on a dohc zc....