Brake squeel from new brakes??

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Replaced my brakes about a week ago with some Hawk brake pads up front. Had the rotors turned and everything was cool.....for a while. Now after they warm up they squeel....REAL BAD!!! It is super loud and only happens if they are warm or I don't brake hard. This just started the other day. I am pretty sure the noise is from up front so I need some advise. I am gonna go to the brake place tomorrow even though I did the install myself. Oh yeah this is a 99 coupe EX.

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you put on the lube for the pads???

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No, but it is not brake chatter. This is high pitched long metalic squeel.

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No one has any ideas? I like the stopping power of these pads but not the squeel.

mr_speedvision

5+ Year Member
sounds like the pads could have too high of a metallic compound, were there shims on the origional pads?

mr_speedvision

5+ Year Member
also, you said that you had the rotors turned. Did you check the thickness? If the rotors are under spec they will not displace enough heat...

chiliredDX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hence why i asked if they were oem rotors. just bought a set of rotors b/c i messed up my front ones. needed to be ground and my mechanic said the grinding will cause poor heat dispersement and warping.

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have Brembo blanks upfront. The driver side was turned...not the passanger side. I put the shims on with the new hawk pads.

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
More than likely the passanger side is the one making the noise. Could it be that because I did not sand that side to get rid of any residue from the other pads and that is what is causing the squeel? The Hawk pads are a feral-carbon compound. Maybe I should have had the passanger turned also...but it did not need it. I will try sanding the pads and disc to make sure there are no contaminates.

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Could it actually be the anti squeel grease that I didn't put between the shim and the outer pad? And can some one explain to me how the hell there is squeel from not putting it on? Sorry i am more of an auto electrician and fabricator than mechanic.

mr_speedvision

5+ Year Member
i'd remove the rotor and cut a couple thousanths off just to clean it up and hit the pads lightly with some 180 grit emory cloth. get some one to drive the car and see if the sound is louder on one side or the other

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Kinda what I was thinking...thanks for the second opinion.

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
same thing is happening to my girls 97 accord cept its happening to her rear drums. sounds like a bus tryin to stop. i had a mech take them off to replace the shoes and drums but he said there are new pads and drums on their it looks like. i think for my girls car it might just be cheap drums and shoes.

LCheung

5+ Year Member
Did you get Hawk HPS or HP+? or which compound? I can tell you right now that HP+ or something even more aggressive WILL squeek on contact. Almost any aggressive brake pad will squeek on contact. If you're concerned with noise and not performance, buy OE, or try any of the less aggressive pads sport pads out there, like AEM, EBC Green, lower end Endless (I had the Vita Nuovas, awesome pedal feel, low dust). Also, did you seat the pads? 10 cycles of 60 to 5 with increasing intensity? There's a dozen ways to do this, what I just said is the Carroll Smith way.

LCheung

5+ Year Member
Oh yeah, Hawks dust like crazy. You front wheels will be covered in reddish-brown FERRO(contains iron) carbon compound in no time. It's the price you pay for stopping power.

silvertuner98

Banned
its typical for the pads. if u wanna quiet them down pull them off, clean them, lube where the pads slide, and spray some anti-squeel s**t on the back of the pad, wait for it to get tacky, clean the caliper off and install the pads. it will quiet them down. all hawk brakes i have heard about always squeel atleast a little bit

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your rotors to make sure no bolts are rubbing against you rotors but it might be that you didn't lube the back side of the pads

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I just got my teggy back with new kazera rotors & hawk pads, and i also noticed some kind of squeeling from the right side. well, not so much a squeel, but more of a rubbing or something :what: could it just be new pads/rotors breaking in?