Building a first gen B16A

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've got a 91 Si I plan on doing a B16 swap on. The old D16a6 started giving up compression on the freeway and ate 2 quarts before 1000 miles after it's last oil change. He's due. I'd like to build this motor before it gets put in. My goal is 9000 rpm redline with 200 whp with a 60-75 hp hit of nos using a 1st gen B16A for simplicity's sake (also have an SiR gauge cluster to install with it =)). Looking for it to be relatively drivable, I don't want a radical idle or anything like that. Just lots of juice. =)

Assuming: complete block/head, ecu and all the "typical" stuff that comes with a complete swap, where is the money best spent to get this output and not fling the engine apart at 9000 rpm? Will the bottom end need beefing for this much power (con rods, pistons)? I have a short ram intake, and headers to catback that should fit. I'm thinking: cams (stage 1,2,3?) & adjustable gears, get the moving bits balanced, up the compression with some machining (how much?), new axles, new intake and throttle body (70mm?), new clutch (stage 1,2,3?) and flywheel (9.5, 12 lbs?), plus a bunch of the recommended stuff like timing belt etc. I'm looking to do a comprehensive NA upgrade. Am I overshooting it? Too much? Too little? What am I forgetting? Help me out!

:lol:

Would need a custom tuned ecu also, almost forgot.

Last edited:

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Seriously? Nobody?

maximusmda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've got a 91 Si I plan on doing a B16 swap on. The old D16a6 started giving up compression on the freeway and ate 2 quarts before 1000 miles after it's last oil change. He's due. I'd like to build this motor before it gets put in. My goal is 9000 rpm redline with 200 whp with a 60-75 hp hit of nos using a 1st gen B16A for simplicity's sake (also have an SiR gauge cluster to install with it =)). Looking for it to be relatively drivable, I don't want a radical idle or anything like that. Just lots of juice. =)

Assuming: complete block/head, ecu and all the "typical" stuff that comes with a complete swap, where is the money best spent to get this output and not fling the engine apart at 9000 rpm? Will the bottom end need beefing for this much power (con rods, pistons)? I have a short ram intake, and headers to catback that should fit. I'm thinking: cams (stage 1,2,3?) & adjustable gears, get the moving bits balanced, up the compression with some machining (how much?), new axles, new intake and throttle body (70mm?), new clutch (stage 1,2,3?) and flywheel (9.5, 12 lbs?), plus a bunch of the recommended stuff like timing belt etc. I'm looking to do a comprehensive NA upgrade. Am I overshooting it? Too much? Too little? What am I forgetting? Help me out!

:lol:

Would need a custom tuned ecu also, almost forgot.
1st, NOS is just dumb... it rapes your engine royally.
200 WHP is kind of hard to reach on a b16... especially the 1st gen b16's (160 BHP).. id say 185-190 is more realistic.. if you want to make that power.. get some skunk2 stage 2 cams, valve springs and retainers. Cam gears and rod bolts and a good tune. good header and exhaust. the throttle body and intake manifold are kind of a waste of money considering they wont do much.. the stock 60-62mm throttle body on the b16 is good enough. and with the rod bolts you should be able to rev to 9K no problem after your head has been taken care of.

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I would do full internals, pistons, rods, bearings, valvetrain, cams. Bigger throttle body and intake manifold. 200 may be reasonable with a shot of NOS

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You'll surely need a better flowering intake manifold to make a peak output of 200 whp at 9000 rpm. The stock manifold isn't good for flow past 7800. You can reach ur goal but i recommend bumping up displacement to 1.8l
Good cams, high compression, and a good header and exhaust combo will get you going in the right direction. I'd stay away from nitrous

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've been looking around, I think my information is old. I wanted to do a swap that doesn't involve welding, or very little of it. It looks like any B16 or B18 OBD 0 or 1 swap should be a bolt in situation, with a cheater harness adapter (not a wiring guy). Is this right? I'd go for a GSR motor if that was the case. Would cams, valves and springs with cold air and headers with a tune get 200 whp easy?

Nos did seem to be too good to be true.

maximusmda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've been looking around, I think my information is old. I wanted to do a swap that doesn't involve welding, or very little of it. It looks like any B16 or B18 OBD 0 or 1 swap should be a bolt in situation, with a cheater harness adapter (not a wiring guy). Is this right? I'd go for a GSR motor if that was the case. Would cams, valves and springs with cold air and headers with a tune get 200 whp easy?

i wouldnt say easy.... but its doable.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

On a b16, no.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
On a b16, no.
I meant on a GSR. I'm just going to switch my plan. I was thinking a first gen B16 because of the cost, but I've decided to sell my old BMW and use that cash for one of the nicer motors, B16B or B18C, maybe even a type r. It's sounding more and more like I should just spend the money on a nicer motor and mod it less.

So: what's the best upgrades in terms of bang for the buck on one of these motors (B16B or B18C)? I'm going to need a new, name brand header. No more junk with this upgrade. I'm sorry if the $5 corner and signal lights offend anyone, all the stuff that came with the car had little holes in it, like somebody shot them with a bb gun. Didn't want them filling with water. But hey, $1800 four years ago and I've put 83k miles on the boat anchor under the hood. It's put in the time and deserves a reward. Go big or go home..? :shock:

maximusmda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I meant on a GSR. I'm just going to switch my plan. I was thinking a first gen B16 because of the cost, but I've decided to sell my old BMW and use that cash for one of the nicer motors, B16B or B18C, maybe even a type r. It's sounding more and more like I should just spend the money on a nicer motor and mod it less.

So: what's the best upgrades in terms of bang for the buck on one of these motors (B16B or B18C)? I'm going to need a new, name brand header. No more junk with this upgrade. I'm sorry if the $5 corner and signal lights offend anyone, all the stuff that came with the car had little holes in it, like somebody shot them with a bb gun. Didn't want them filling with water. But hey, $1800 four years ago and I've put 83k miles on the boat anchor under the hood. It's put in the time and deserves a reward. Go big or go home..? :shock:
you'll be happy with the b18c... (JDM GSR) the b16b is overrated... if you do decide to get the type r whoo hoo for you.. but im 5K into my itr sway at the moment :-)

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
still on a no on the GSR with those mods you listed. 200whp is easier to achieve with the GSR but it takes just a bit more. Check out this N/A dyno thread to see relatively what you can expect

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1583606

Post #756, Johnny 9 has what I'm looking for, I see what you mean. Gonna take a few months of saving for those parts, pistons aren't cheap. :roll: Probably have the crank polished and balanced if I'm gonna mess with the bottom end, too. Ugh, I have to go do something inexpensive now, like clean up the interior a little and get a car wash to make myself feel better.