Building for boost

cadieux_j

5+ Year Member
A few questions I hope some of you can answer:

1. I am looking to get eagle rods, I dont want to go with the vitara pistons because I will be running low boost, which I have been told these pistons will give me a lack of power out of boost because of low compression. What pistons should I go with?? OEM, or another type of forged pistons?

2. I am going to port and shim my oil pump, my only worry is that it will blow my turbo seals with high oil pressure. is this true and is there anyway aroud this?

3. I won't be running more then 220 whp, should I upgrade my clutch to a stage 2? it will be daily driven.

4. I sometimes drive long distances on the highway, with that said, since I will be runninng a turbo will I have any problems with reliability on these long hauls?? I read somewhere that driving at 120km/h for a long period of time will put alot of stress/heat on all components....is this true??

5. for gauges I was thinking of getting
a)EGT
b) Boost gauge
c) Water temp
d) Oil pressure

Any others i would need??

Thanks in advance.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
vitara pistons will be fine you want low compression for boost. and unless you have a HUGE ass turbo you wont be out of boost that long

xcthc

5+ Year Member
if you go with the eagle rods you won't be able to use the OEM pistons unless you bring them to a machine shop and get retainers made for the floating wrist pin. if you're gonna run small boost numbers there's nothing wrong with getting something close to stock compression if you plan on getting it tuned. even with bigger boost numbers, as long as a good tune is there, you shouldn't have any problems.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1 go with eagle rods and vitara pistons. you'll be fine.
2.port and shim? what? dont do anything special, use an oil restrictor if needed
3.yes
4. with a good tune you will be fine.
5. no

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
2.port and shim? what? dont do anything special, use an oil restrictor if needed\
Yes he should port and shim. Y8 oil pumps don't provide enough pressure or flow for turbo'd engines. BUT also use a restrictor since you don't want to blow the seals.

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A few questions I hope some of you can answer:

1. I am looking to get eagle rods, I dont want to go with the vitara pistons because I will be running low boost, which I have been told these pistons will give me a lack of power out of boost because of low compression. What pistons should I go with?? OEM, or another type of forged pistons?

2. I am going to port and shim my oil pump, my only worry is that it will blow my turbo seals with high oil pressure. is this true and is there anyway aroud this?

3. I won't be running more then 220 whp, should I upgrade my clutch to a stage 2? it will be daily driven.

4. I sometimes drive long distances on the highway, with that said, since I will be runninng a turbo will I have any problems with reliability on these long hauls?? I read somewhere that driving at 120km/h for a long period of time will put alot of stress/heat on all components....is this true??

5. for gauges I was thinking of getting
a)EGT
b) Boost gauge
c) Water temp
d) Oil pressure

Any others i would need??

Thanks in advance.
1.vitara + h beam.... fine... good luck with notching the block and girdle...
2.true and do it
3.stage 2 or 3 is fine.... i have stage 4 daily driven...
4. not if its tune correctly juwst dont' fullthrottle it all the way thru
5. i would also get a wideband wit afr guage

cadieux_j

5+ Year Member
another thing I was thinking about, the Mass Air flow sensor, and the other sensors on the stock intake, will they be used with a turbo application? and will intercooler piping kits come with spots for them???

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i see that you have a 99 si, so i am guessing you have a b16. if you plan on running less than 300 WHP you dont really need to build your motor. a stage 2 clutch will be fine.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
another thing I was thinking about, the Mass Air flow sensor, and the other sensors on the stock intake, will they be used with a turbo application? and will intercooler piping kits come with spots for them???
you shouldnt have any sensors on your intake?....maybe the one that goes to the breather on the valve cover.....then again i have a 4th gen so im not to sure.....

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yo i wouldnt get Eagle rods.....they have issues with D blocks where the rods are to short and dont reach the top of the block. So what you can do is go with vitara pistons, and if you go to www.ftjdistributors.com they have Custom Vitara I-beam forged rods that are custom length to push pistons to top of deck. They are specially made for vitara pistons and D-series turbo setups.....check out there website. you will find some good parts.......and port n shim your oil pump then get an oil resitictor........Will benefit in the end.

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and for the clutch go to competition clutch and talk to a sales rep and mention the NHRA event and you get 30% discount on clutch, a FREE comp clutch t-shirt and keychain ......haha i was mackin on this chick from comp clutch n got hooked up realllll good!!! Stage 4 clutch for 300 bucks with everything else

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Look under the turbo bottom end on the side and it comes with everything u need to rebuild the motor.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
nah notching the block is actually pretty easy....i would know ive done 3 so far..... : )