Bye Bye Pontiac!

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2009/04/25/GM-to-eliminate-iconic-Pontiac-brand/UPI-19021240666294/

DETROIT, April 25 (UPI) -- U.S. automaker General Motors will kill off its venerable Pontiac brand as part of a government-supervised restructuring plan, sources say.

Citing unnamed sources familiar with the plan, The Detroit News reported Saturday that GM has already notified Pontiac dealers that the 83-year-old brand will be discontinued as part of a restructuring effort. The struggling auto giant will also close plants, cut jobs and negotiate with bondholders to cut $28 billion in debt, the News said.

GM officials will tell Congress Monday about the restructuring plans, which include keeping the GMC line of trucks, SUVs and vans, sources told the newspaper. The company is surviving on $15.4 billion in loans from the U.S. Treasury and is racing to implement a scheme to stay afloat before a June 1 deadline, after which it could be forced into Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The loss of Pontiac will mean the end of an iconic brand that symbolized fast-driving, V-8-powered muscle cars in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. The News said Pontiac sales fell 25 percent last year to 267,348, down from its late 1970s peak of about 900,000.

Its elimination will leave GM with four core brands: Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
should have ditched buick first

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn it, pontiac was one of my favorite domestic brands. why not ditch the GMC logo since they are mainly rebadged versions of other vehicles.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
damn it, pontiac was one of my favorite domestic brands. why not ditch the GMC logo since they are mainly rebadged versions of other vehicles.
Its the same freakin way across the whole f**king map, really? They rebadge more cars that you know. I think they should get rid of the GMC line because its just all trucks and vans, at least Pontiac has some cars in its line.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I agree buick should have gone first...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I only dislike (not hate) the G8 because this local guy has a stock one and talks s**t about other peoples cars. G8's are heavy ass family sedan pigs that are kinda slow for the power they're rated at. Not to mention they're a V8.

I'm glad Pontiac is going. Buick actually makes pretty nice cars. Just because they don't go vroom vroom and aren't fast doesn't mean they're not nice. I've been in a few of the newer models and they're actually very nice.

moo shoo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I only dislike (not hate) the G8 because this local guy has a stock one and talks s**t about other peoples cars. G8's are heavy ass family sedan pigs that are kinda slow for the power they're rated at. Not to mention they're a V8.

I'm glad Pontiac is going. Buick actually makes pretty nice cars. Just because they don't go vroom vroom and aren't fast doesn't mean they're not nice. I've been in a few of the newer models and they're actually very nice.
Man you have to admit that it is a bad ass grocery getter.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Too bad, I was really hoping to see a new GTO where they finally improved the handling after like 60 years!

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You do know the "new gto" is just a Holden Monaro clone right? which was based on the Holden VT Commodore which was based on the Opel Omega B. either way you look at it. the "new GTO" is not a GTO but a Australian/European coupe.

House Special

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow. I figured they would ditch Pontiac first and not Buick because they already ditched Oldsmobile some time ago.

Black Magic

I'm Rick James, b***h
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i like the pontiac g6 and g8... but they have a lot of problems mechanically. my friend bought a g6 brand new.... the amount of times she had to take it in for repairs within only a few times was ridiculous. she almost drove a rental for longer than her own car.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i like the pontiac g6 and g8... but they have a lot of problems mechanically. my friend bought a g6 brand new.... the amount of times she had to take it in for repairs within only a few times was ridiculous. she almost drove a rental for longer than her own car.
and thats why pontiac is dead. thier quality has never been that great since the early 90s

Old Man

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:word:

i hate pontiac anyway but atleast they have the gto. buick has......nothing.
the GTO is just a rebadged aussie car anyway.

and buick did have a car called the Grand National/GNX that was pretty badass