Caliper Paint (NO AIR BRUSH NEEDED, NO CALIPER REMOVE NEEDED)

sarquez

5+ Year Member
What's up every one!?

Well I have tried to post this at "How to's" but had no success at all, I know we do have many of these on the web but it is always nice to have more than a reference right?!

Got my calipers looking like crap for a while so I decied to get them painted, I've done this on previous cars and they lasted for years, where is what we are going to use:

- Automotive paint, I have used Honda's original RED (same as my cars);
- Varnish and catalyzer (got to mix these two);
- 2 brushes (flat tip, and soft material), buy some good ones other wise they will fall out when painting the calipers;
- Thinner, sand paper (thin sand paper), and a rag;
- Jack and stands.

Well first of all losen the lugnuts from your rims (just to be able to remove when the car is lifted), and lift your ride (CAUTION WITH THIS), if necessary I can post some pics of where to place the lift at your ride!

Now let's sand paper the brakes (any rust or dirt off), and than wash it once or twice with Thinner, I've used an old rag to remove the excess dirt from it, and after the forth bath with thinner all was good to go! (sorry I have no pics for this procedure).

Now comes the fun part, I did 5 coatings on both calipers, to have a nice finish and also to cover all spots.

1st coat has to be very light just to prepare the surface (some spots might still look metallic, don't worry).

*TIP: Painting with a brush is very simple, all you got to do is follow a pattern so you will end up with a clean surface, in this case I have used a downward movement throughout all the coats!

2nd coat you can get a bit more covered areas, still you are going to get some spots were the paint won't look so good.
This is how your second coat should look like:

After the 3rd coat you can get thick coats (carefull not to have any spills or drips).

On the 5th coat you should have something like this:

*TIP: Painting with a brush is very simple, all you got to do is follow a pattern so you will end up with a clean surface, in this case I have used a downward movement throughout all the coats!

For some reason you got paint into your DISCS!!!! Don't worry clean them with Thinner and the rag, always pay attention to the discs.

After the paint is dry now you can get your varnish and catalyser into a cup (one that you will throw away after doing this procedure). This is how you mix, for every one spoon of Catalyser you will put TWO spoons of Varnish, than you will end up with a mixture like this:

Notice how the end product will be a stick material (CAUTION: THIS IS HARD AS HECK TO REMOVE, SO IF YOU GET SOME IN YOUR HANDS YOU’LL HAVE TO CLEAR THAN WITH THINNER, BEST IDEA IS TO WEAR GLOVES) .

Now with the other clean brush apply your Varnish on the dried surface of the caliper. Using the same paint way!!!! Only one coat for this material.

This is the final work, notice how it has a nice shinning end to it, this looks great with yellow paint also!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Sorry for the dirty rims!!! Just washed the car LOL!!!!

Hope this helps! Enjoy!!!!

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks kinda messy..as long as you like it..i rather just tape around the area you dont want painted and use a spray paint can..even coating

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow, they look great shineyyy :O
but i have 1 question...whats catalyzer?

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im gonna be painting my here within the hour after my final ride hieght adjustment. doesnt look too bad =) maybe a far away picture will help??

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would like to know how these hold up after a week, then a month. Please update with pictures as you can.

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i tell you what if he doesnt then i will. just painted mine a few hours ago

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ooooooh I want to do this once I get my new rims(: would white be a bad choice for paint? I'm wondering if they'll get superrrrr dirty.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks better stock.

sarquez

5+ Year Member
Well I had no spill on the discs and others, you got to be carefull that's about all.

About catalyzer is a mixture with the varnish, this is the professional used on car paint.

So far I done this to two other rides, they lasted for more than 2 years! For example yesterday, 4 hours after painting them I had to drive about 100 miles under some heavy rain, for my surprise calipers are shinny and no difference at all from the pictures.

About the dark color was my choice but you can paint in a lighter color, but keep in mind the lighter the color the dirtier they look!

As I've said this is another way we can do caliper painting!

sarquez

5+ Year Member
Ooooooh I want to do this once I get my new rims(: would white be a bad choice for paint? I'm wondering if they'll get superrrrr dirty.
I have painted once a Porsch yellow, they do get dirty, but as long as you have a pretty good working space on you rims it is easy to remove the dirty, I recomend water, car cleaning soap, and one spoon of thinner, this will do the cleaning and it will not remove the paint (as long as varnish is applied).

White would look very hot! Good luck!

sarquez

5+ Year Member
im gonna be painting my here within the hour after my final ride hieght adjustment. doesnt look too bad =) maybe a far away picture will help??
Hey got two pics just a 30 minutes ago, keep in mind I got a shi*** load of rain today, some dirt also, and drove on highways for about 3 hours so this should put the paint to the test, here is how it looks right now:

Sorry, the car looks like dirty, but tomorrow got to go to work and I don't have time to wash it now!

sarquez

5+ Year Member
your garage is tile? O_o
Yup! I'm over Brazil man. I would rather have it on concrete, but here is more than common to have a tile garage. Now imagine white like my families home?! I'm there only on the weekends (after that was washed), so any small stain... Will be hell for the weekend! LOL.

sarquez

5+ Year Member
lower it...
I know, and have done it in the past (Fenders tell that don't they? LOL), but I have two major problems, one are the shi*** roads in Brazil, full of holes, speed bumps and bad asphalt.

The other one, and also lovely one are the cops! Got busted, here if you lower your ride, you can be sure they will stop you and take your ride to the station. Believe me it is expensive to take your ride away from them.

Also that's my daily ride, so I drive about 350KM per week that's about 217 miles, I pass by many Road Cops, and those are hell here in Brazil, I got pulled over just because I had 15" in my ride, can you believe that? He said my car was lowered and turbo (dumb a** does not know what a turbo car is), but it took me about 1 hour to get my self free from his "Money talk" if you know what I mean.

For now I'll live it up, maybe after getting one 2006 Si, I'll have this one for weekend rides only!:D

sarquez

5+ Year Member
As I promissed here are the pictures after 3 WEEKS of intense driving (Mud, Rain and Roads), and also after 5 washes (not well washed on the picture below as It started to rain today). By the way changed the rims also so you might find some difference there: