Cam position sensor finicky?

Dolby109

So I just did a timing belt on my 05 Civic (D17 VTEC), and now it fires up with some hesitation but runs fine, except it's in open loop (hard fuel cut at 3500rpm). First: don't worry, timing is correct, we triple checked it before putting it back together.

Immediately throws a code for cam position sensor. So I check it and it pulls right out...wasn't clipped in.
No big deal, I plug it in as hard as I can...still comes out.
I get to where I am under the car and my wife is on top both of us pushing this thing in as hard as we can and it won't clip. Plug/clip looks fine...it's snug in there and won't move but will come out if you give it a tug.

And no matter what it throws the code and stays in open loop.

Do I need to replace the sensor, or the pigtail?
Edit: (added photo)
Code is P0340 Camshaft position (CMP) sensor circuit malfunction.
Also have O2 sensor coming.

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Check the sensor and pigtail for broken retaining clip. Also can you post photos of the clip and sensor plug end.

P0135 appears to be a failed O2 sensor heating circuit. Replace 02 sensor.

Dolby109

I can try to add pics later but the clip and pigtail appear to be fine, but I haven't torn it apart again to take the sensor out.
Hoping I can remove the valve cover just enough to pull the timing cover off without having to move all the wiring again.
And yeah already have the O2.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
If you have a multimeter you can test the pigtail side of the circuit for continuity to ensure there are to breaks in the circuit between the connector and the ECU.

Dolby109

If you have a multimeter you can test the pigtail side of the circuit for continuity to ensure there are to breaks in the circuit between the connector and the ECU.
There are 3 prongs... what are the expected readings?

Dolby109

So this is solved now.
We took the sensor out and immediately noticed the middle pin was bent (which is why it wouldn't snap in place).

How it got this way was my kid when putting in the bolt that holds both upper and lower timing covers together directly below the sensor accidentally first tried to thread it into the sensor. How do I know this? He did it AGAIN, and bent it AGAIN. Luckily I caught it right away this time when he said he couldn't get it to thread in.

So anyway after a second removal/fix it's back together and running properly now.

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
So this is solved now.
We took the sensor out and immediately noticed the middle pin was bent (which is why it wouldn't snap in place).

How it got this way was my kid when putting in the bolt that holds both upper and lower timing covers together directly below the sensor accidentally first tried to thread it into the sensor. How do I know this? He did it AGAIN, and bent it AGAIN. Luckily I caught it right away this time when he said he couldn't get it to thread in.

So anyway after a second removal/fix it's back together and running properly now.
We appreciate you coming back with the resolution and root cause ended up being a basically free fix =)