camber kit truth

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i read a review that talked about how the a-armed style camber kits can have alan slippage and possible boots ripping on the ball joints. I know with the more conservative camber kits that just directly attatch, rather than replacing the a-arm, couldnt have those things go wrong with it. My buddy swears by the cheaper ones that just push out the assembly by twisting and says they are more reliable and do the job, and most likely last longer. Throw out some opinions on this

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you really need one? I wouldn't bother in the first place.

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes..i do really need one. i dont feel like buying new tires every 2 months anymore. Of course you dont need kits cause yours sits almost factory height.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes..i do really need one. i dont feel like buying new tires every 2 months anymore. Of course you dont need kits cause yours sits almost factory height.
I actually just bought some tein SS and plan to "tuck tires". I won't buy camber kits at that point either. I've had numerous threads explaining why I think they're worthless. But thats not what this thread is about. I wouldn't cheap out on ANY suspension part - for the front just go name brand (skunk2 works well) and the rear just do the washer trick.

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah i agree on the cheap part. also referring to the tein's...i have full tein coilovers on my civic and the very top of my tread is ever so slightly next to the fender. not really tucking but you get the point. anyways with the 205/40/17's on it now after about 2 months i get about 2-3 inches of camber wear on the inside of my front tires. are you just gonna deal with the wear? enlighten me im interested

junior h.m

5+ Year Member
word of advice, if your tucking , even just a tad bit get it.. trust me just like you hate replacing tire i did too for a while.. but also i wouldnt go with Skunk2 i forgot where i read a review from a forum and they tend to loose the bolts that are up-top. wich would mean major accident..but other than that get the camber kit, hey a guy is selling his SPC ones on CC. just seen his thread above yours.jump on it man..well good luck bro

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just get an alignment.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did u guys ever get an aligment...camber does very little to wear out your tires. toe is the main s**t...hence why you get an aligment when you mess with suspension.

ryanM

from looking at your sig, your shits not even low.

camber doesnt eat tires that fast. your toe is off. get an alignment...

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well my front is low enough to do something negative..you can see the negative camber just by looking at the front wheels compared to the back ones (back has no camber). I agree my toe is probably off too. I'm just gonna throw my new 16" buddy club sf's (goodbye 17's :D) on the car this weekend and go get it aligned to see how negative my camber will be once i adjust my basics. Then i'll really know. I was just curious about peoples experiences with different types of camber kits.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your toe is wearing out your tires not your camber.

crz1o13o4

5+ Year Member
from looking at your sig, your shits not even low.

camber doesnt eat tires that fast. your toe is off. get an alignment...
Comes from the man with a 4" drop... I'd take his advice... just wish I could do a 4" drop too

ryanM

Comes from the man with a 4" drop... I'd take his advice... just wish I could do a 4" drop too
you can, all you need to do is grow a pair.

i'm cambering so hard in back that the outside of my tire isnt on the ground. i need RUCA's BAD!!

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
alright i ordered skunk2 front and rear camber kits...hopefully they'll be on and aligned this weekend so i can drop my car. it looks like im going to a rally race lol.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I havent had a camber kit at all and I've been tucking tire for the past 4 years. I haven't had a single camber wear issue.

Its all about the alignment. Its toe that kills tires, not camber

Jimmy2times

White, middle-class
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
for me the key is just finding a shop with a 0 clearance rack to get ur car up for the alignment. i think i finally found a shop and i'm about to drop 2 inches or so this week. woot for summer coming up...in a couple months...

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a -4 on the front and no excessive tire wear but have the rest 0 out. And -4 is pretty damn bad.

AtkinsApproved

5+ Year Member
Have any of you guys actually put your car on an alignment rack yourself after you've lowered it and looked at the measurments? Getting an alignment wont always help, it depends how far out your camber is, and putting it max adjustment isnt always a good idea, and alot of vehicles dont have adjustment for camber and caster.
Lowering your car does cause negative camber and negative camber DOES cause inside tire wear. Negative camber will affect your toe angle and contribute to your pre-mature tire wear(thats why you always adjust toe last when your doing an alignment). When your toe is out even 1/2 a degree, for every mile you drive its like scuffing your tires sideways for 200 yards.
Why do you think tire companies like nitto make a special tires for lowered vehicles with negative camber? To help slow down pre-mature tire wear cause by negative camber.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Camber has less affect on tire wear than toe. An average drop does not require a camber kit or aligning your camber.