Can someone help me with a 1991 fuel filter replacement ?

tomp

I can't get this thing off. I am trying to follow the Haynes, i have decent tools, but this EFFFFFIN thing refuses to budge.
Here i go----
Using the Haynes, page chapter 1 -32, diagram 40.13
Let me start with the drivers side fitting first,
From the top to the filter, the filter is held in place by a 12 mm Service BOLT , followed by a washer. That BOLT is threaded into a 17 mm nut, which is affixed to the SPECIAL BANJO BOLT, and then is threaded into the filter.
OK, now what do i have to put a wrench on to get this thing off?, since the Haynes makes no mention or fails to include the FIXED 17 mm fitting in it's diagram, i assume the Special Banjo Bolt is what a wrench needs to be placed on.
Am i correct to assume this, or does the fixed nut right above it need a wrench on it?.
Does the 12 mm service bolt come into play?. Does that need to be removed, or bolted on tight when i am trying to remove this EFFIN filter!!.

The car has 65,k original , so its probably the original filter.
There should be no reason why i can't get this off, besides the fact i think i may be trying to turn the wrong nut/bolt.
So can someone please help me out here.
IF anyone has ever changed the fuel filter in a 1991 honda civic, with a dual port 1.5, could you please tell me how the hell you did it, and what wrenches are used on what bolt/nut.
The only thing i can possibly get on that Special Banjo Bolt, is an adjustable open faced wrench. Only problem is , apparently it is tighter than the average bolt, and i may need some type of metal pipe for leverage.
So what needs to have a wrench on it?, The Special Banjo Bolt?, the fixed 17 mm?, or the 12 mm service bolt on the top?.
A combination of 2 of them, and if so, what is the 2 and are they both normal counter clockwise threads to remove?.
Some one help, before i light this car up!!!. Thank you!

kwiks93

The 12mm service nut should be the bleeder and you remove the bolts holding the banjo fittings. After that it should just be take the bracket off and do everything in reverse. Hope this helps

tomp

The 12mm service nut should be the bleeder and you remove the bolts holding the banjo fittings. After that it should just be take the bracket off and do everything in reverse. Hope this helps
I wished it helped, but it doesn't. So the 12mm stays on or off while the whole fitting is removed?. Does it need a wrench on it while the fitting is removed?.
I think you are giving me removal procedure from a very different model. .
If you got a Haynes, please go to that page (1 32) and look at the diagram 40 .13.
Now tell me what of those three fitting, get a wrench on them, and which way they should be turned. I imagine counter clockwise, but no one will verify this.

tomp

I am missing something here. I don't know what is wrong with me, but apparently no one can answer me when i am asking about what bolt needs to have a wrench on it to remove it from the filter.
Does the 12 mm stay on or off? Does this in anyway matter if this is tightened into the threads of the 17 mm affixed nut?.
Does it need to be OFF in order for the filter to eventually be removed from the car?. Some one just answer yes or no
The 17 mm affixed nut(to the special banjo bolt) is not mentioned or even shown in the Haynes illustration or the factory service picture. I have no idea why, but it's not.
Does this not get a wrench on it ? .. or does the special banjo bolt need to be turned.??
What about under neath the tabs?, Do they have to have a wrench on them?.
This is not easy when i am getting all kinds of different answers.
There has to be someone out there who has changed the fuel filter on a 1991 HONDA CIVIC Lx with a 1.5 engine in it. Apparently there are different types of fuel filters in Hondas, but this has 2 fittings, which apparently won't budge.

reichbc

"Brandon"
Am I seeing that diagram wrong, or does the fuel travel through a hole in the side of those bolts?

tomp

Am I seeing that diagram wrong, or does the fuel travel through a hole in the side of those bolts?
Yes it does, that is why when i finally got it back on, and tightened it, it wasn't tight enough, and apparently the fuel was hitting the hole inside the bolt.
With a neighbors help , he wrenched, and i made sure that filter did not move a hair. Apparently the hole inside the bolt is lined up correctly now, because their is no more fuel leaking.

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the bolts are hollow and have a hole thru the side for the fuel to flow thru - this hole lines up with a groove which is completely around the inside of the banjo fitting - the banjo fitting has a hole in the groove which leads to the hose - the holes in the bolt and banjo fitting don't need to align as the fuel will flow, from the hole in the bolt, around the groove, to the hole in the fitting - usually, the reason they leak when being reassembled is because new washers were not installed on both sides of the banjo fitting - the washers are crush washers (like on a spark plug) and once crushed, it is hard to get them to seal again - always replace the crush washers when working on the fuel line connections