Can't pass smog!

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I'm not to fimiliar with the smog side of automotive. It WON'T pass the 15mph tests but PASSES the 25mph test no problem. It's to high on HC, CO and a GROSS POLLUTER on NO (Nox). The EGR valve was stuck closed but it freed itself when I manually pulled vacuum from it. I replaced the o2 sensor but what else should I be looking at? Should I be looking at timing?

PS. car is a 94 Honda Prelude VTEC OBD1

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
maybe a new egr valve? any cel's at all

1991civicb16

So I'm not to fimiliar with the smog side of automotive. It WON'T pass the 15mph tests but PASSES the 25mph test no problem. It's to high on HC, CO and a GROSS POLLUTER on NO (Nox). The EGR valve was stuck closed but it freed itself when I manually pulled vacuum from it. I replaced the o2 sensor but what else should I be looking at? Should I be looking at timing?

PS. car is a 94 Honda Prelude VTEC OBD1
How long have you had the car might want to check the cat when i bought mine the dumb ass hollowed out the cat so i failed.

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, I would think that if it was the cat, it would of failed on the 25mph test aswell, right?

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea, i have. but the prelude forums are not as active.

HC: Measured 197/Max 88, CO Measured .81/Max .52, NOx Measured 2151/Max 704 (Gross Poll. is 1936)

Thanks in advance. I'm going to check iginition timing and clean out the egr valve and ports and do another pretest. i'll keep ya posted.

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay, I think i figured it out. HOPEFULLY, fingers crossed. The ricer who owned this car before me f**ked with a lot of s**t and it didn't look like they knew what they were doing. Today, I checked ignition timing and it was WAY to advanced probably causing detonation in thus causing WAY to much NOx. So I reset the ignition timing and re-adjusted idle speed. Gonna retest tomorrow, hopefully it gives me the Green light!!!! WISH ME LUCk!!

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just my luck! After doing some adjustments, it passed the PRE-TEST but FAILED the actual test because the NOx barely went over. I'm gonna try cleaning out the injectors, intake system, retard the timing 3 or so degree, replace the spark plugs and run some G2P through the fuel system. Retest on Monday. This damn car is nickle and diming me to death.