Cant take off air filter!

Ace92028

Gold Member
Hi, i have a 2002 honda civic ex coupe and im trying to replace the air filter by the engine. Anyways there is about 6 bolts that i need to take off. HOWEVER, when im trying to take the bolts off they just spin in one place. The bottom of air filter container that is holding the bolt is brocken. I can see the bottom of the "bolt holder" as i try and unloosen the bolt. I cant seem to find a way to get them off. Help plz? thanks

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
are you sure you just don't have to posistion them right in order to remove the cover? That's the way they usually are.

guynlidia2006

5+ Year Member
try and grab the bottom side with visegrips, very comon problem with that type of filter housing. u may have to break it off and replace the part...

Ace92028

Gold Member
position them right? the bolts? i just need to unscrew them and i would be done. HOWEVER the bolts are in a casing that just keeps spining around as i try to unloosen the bolt.

Ace92028

Gold Member
try and grab the bottom side with visegrips, very comon problem with that type of filter housing. u may have to break it off and replace the part...
i tried that, i cant seem to get a good enough grip. Its a super small spot to get into and not much to grab onto

guynlidia2006

5+ Year Member
that happens when someone overtightens the bolts since it is going into plastic... so try and find someone selling an oem intake then take a prybar and remove it and reinsall the non broken one...

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
HOWEVER the bolts are in a casing that just keeps spining around as i try to unloosen the bolt.
Well there's your problem. You shouldnt be unloosening the bolts, you should be loosening them.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
honestly i would just get a short ram intake so its alot easier to get to and you just have to clen most of them no replacing . get the cheapest ebay pipe you can find and replace the filter with a AEM dry flow they sell them at autozone for 45 bucks.

Motaw

ya just buy a new intake, when u do you can get rid of both of the black boxes and the snorkel

Ace92028

Gold Member
is taking off the housing for the air filter easy? Also can i install the air intake without taking it to a mechanic?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If you are asking that question, then no. You cant install it without a mechanic.

Ace92028

Gold Member
i was able to get the top of the filter off, 3 of the bolts still have the nuts on them(on the lid) and the other 4 are still fine. I was wondering now sence i dont have my air filter bolted down on one side, if dirt/sand can still seep underneath the lid.

Motaw

If you are asking that question, then no. You cant install it without a mechanic.
lmfao!!

But in seriousness, you can install it yourself.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

On second thought idk if ripping out the entire air filter box is a good idea, you might need it if something happens to your intake.

I was wondering now sence i dont have my air filter bolted down on one side, if dirt/sand can still seep underneath the lid.
If its sealed, its fine.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you can download DIY information from K&N website.
http://www.knfilters.com/
it so easy to do evan a caveman can do it. also if you get it from a reputable company it will come with detailed instructions.