Car cuts off when coming to a stop/ low idle.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Car is a 1996 Honda civic EX. Stock besides intake and header.

So I've been having this problem for a little bit now and I can't seem to figure it out. My car will cut off after either hard or long drives. I make about an hour trip to Eatonton once a week or so, and every single time when I go to get off on my exit I'll push in the clutch and the RPM's will drop to 0 and the car will cut off. Battery and oil lights come on, etc. When I crank it back up it cranks SLOW, but still cranks. It will typically cut off every stop I make after that but if I crank it back up at a stop the rpms will slowly drop down to around 200, and it will just idle really low but not cut off. I also have this problem at four way stops in traffic. The idle will slowly drop the longer I'm sitting and I have to blip the throttle to get it high enough to drive without shaking from trying to stall out. The car has cut off a couple of times when I've been making turns and I lose my power steering when it cuts off. (not fun) I have recently replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and fuel filter. I have cleaned my IACV but to no avail. Running out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions! :D

If you need more information just let me know, I'll be glad to help as much as I can.

Edit: Thought I might mention, my CEL is on for the downstream O2 sensor (P1014 I believe?) Also my speedometer only works occasionally, but I think it's my cluster, it doesn't clock miles either :P I read a TSB about the main engine harness rubbing against the intake manifold causing a fuse to blow that controls the alternator, downstream o2 sensor, and speedometer. Two of which I'm having trouble with. May be irrelevant but thought i'd throw it in there. But yeah the engine harness is fine. :O

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here is a link to a video I took of the problem that I'm having. The video is just of me at a four way stop. I started the video right before I cranked the car back up after it cut off in traffic.

http://youtu.be/zmAAyoh8A84

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bump. Any ideas?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Does it only do it after it has been driven for a few mins or at initial startup as well?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Only after its been driven a while. Never before its warmed up.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It does :O

Thinking clogged cat?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I think it may be clogged, would be the next thing to check.

Drive it around tonight and look and see if it is red hot.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think it may be clogged, would be the next thing to check.

Drive it around tonight and look and see if it is red hot.
I'm f**ked up right now so not an option. Lol but I will try it out soon. What are some other symptoms of a clogged cat that I could look out for? I know I'm not getting the best gas mileage, despite the fresh tune up.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Not pulling hard, running right after its heated up. Like it wont have any power at highway speeds, under load etc.

I also thought maybe your fuel pump my be on it's way out, that would be an easy check.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not pulling hard, running right after its heated up. Like it wont have any power at highway speeds, under load etc.

I also thought maybe your fuel pump my be on it's way out, that would be an easy check.
I got plenty of passing power but not much power on the interstate but it's a single cam so I'm not expecting much.

What's a quick way to check my fuel pump?

Thanks for all the advice!

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got plenty of passing power but not much power on the interstate but it's a single cam so I'm not expecting much.

What's a quick way to check my fuel pump?

Thanks for all the advice!

Check fuel pressure.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Well I say quick check because I have a pressure tester :smackself

I never had to do it on a civic or integra and I dont remember stock fuel rails having schrader valves. I could be wrong about the pre-2001 models though. You may have to find an adapter to attach to the stock fuel line with a schrader valve connection to screw a fuel pressure gauge into.

Sorry for the "easy check" comment, as it is easy to check if the fuel pump is working, but not really checking the fuel pressure.

DTvn

I had this problem with my first car but it was a Nissan. Ended up being the Intake Air Temperature sensor. I cleaned it good but it still happened so I got a new/junkyard one and it worked fine

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you ever figure it out?
Nah not yet. I'll be working on the car Sunday and try and get to the bottom of this. Will be replacing the oil pan gasket, vtec solenoid gaskets, air filter (all irrelevant, I know) but I will also be cleaning the throttle body and will try and check fuel pressure as well. I'll report back with my findings =) thank you all for the suggestions. I really hope I get this issue resolved soon as it is a pain in the neck.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had this problem with my first car but it was a Nissan. Ended up being the Intake Air Temperature sensor. I cleaned it good but it still happened so I got a new/junkyard one and it worked fine
I'm not even sure my car has that sensor but I will look into it. Thanks!