Car idles up and down.. Please help

stevelobo

whats up guys. this is my first post here on club civic, so sorry if this question has been answered before.. searched the internet for months still havent found a solution to my problem...

I own a 97 CX civic hatchback with about 130,xxx miles..
When i bought the car, i did not notice that the MAP sensor was unplugged. a few weeks later when i realized this, i plugged it in and noticed a constant idle. when the MAP sensor is plugged in-the car revs up and down without me even touching the gas pedal.. When the MAP is UN-plugged- the idle stops.
..i got my light tested and the computer pulls a MAP sensor code-(but i think that is because the map is unplugged) .. i bought a new map sensor and replaced it with the old one... SAME PROBLEM.
im almost positive my old map sensor is in perfect condition. so i returned the new part...
ALSO... my air intake pipe has 2 holes on the bottom BUT THEY ARE NOT ATTACHED TO ANYTHING..
when i cover the 2 holes ( plus the main entrance hole for intake ) the idle stops.. do you think this could be a problem with the air intake?? any help is appreciated

See-Tee-R

Idle surging is a pretty common problem in 6th gen civics. usually the first thing to look for is vacuum leaks. Make sure all vac lines are hooked up tightly. Then the next thing would be to clean the IACV and throttle body to remove any grime thats stuck in there. Bleeding your coolant also helps with idle problems as well. Those are pretty much the basic ways to get rid of the idle problem.

stevelobo

Idle surging is a pretty common problem in 6th gen civics. usually the first thing to look for is vacuum leaks. Make sure all vac lines are hooked up tightly. Then the next thing would be to clean the IACV and throttle body to remove any grime thats stuck in there. Bleeding your coolant also helps with idle problems as well. Those are pretty much the basic ways to get rid of the idle problem.
Thanks bro.. I'm gonna try and clean out my iacv tonight..I checked vac lines for leaks and found nothing..should I jack up the car and take a look underneath? Do any vac lines run towards the bottom of the engine?? Also, My iacv is reallly hard to see or find.

tyl29

Supreme Member
5+ Year Member
buy a spark plug gapper for 99c at your local auto store. its a little metal disk that goes from small to big w measurements. use it to make sure alll your plugs are at 1.1mm

balls13

i'm having same problem, just replaced my d1.6 with a jdm d1.5 because no one had any 1.6's anywhere around me.. anyways got car`running and its surging like crazy.. i've tried cleaning the iacv on 1 of the throttle bodies and still doing it, i've even swapped out the whole throttle body to my old 1 and same thing.. i also pulled the ecm fuse and restarted it idled steady but high for bout 30 seconds or so then started surging again.. if i unplug the iacv while runnin it stops surging and idles high and continue around the sensors and stays same but does stop surging until shut off and restarted.. i'm gonna try coolant next but if that dont work i may light a match... please help!!!!