car smokes and engine shakes alot Help!

norybg3

5+ Year Member
Alright, so I change some gaskets on my engine today. Put in new head gasket, valve cover gasket, intake manifold gasket and exhaust manifold gasket. Once I have everything put back, I go and start the car and alot of smoke comes out of the exhaust and the engine shakes and sounds horrible. I already double checked all the wiring, spark plug wires and everything. Can some one give me an idea of what could be wrong? my only guess would be that i put the timing belt wrong and that i messed up my timing, :(

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like timing, or the head was not torqued right. Did you get the head decked? or did you take the head off right? its easy to crack a head not taking it off properly, what kind of manual were you useing?

HP Civic 2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your ignition timing.

ek4coupe

5+ Year Member
What color smoke? I'm guessing white. Also, check your timing and do a compression test. Maybe the head is warped.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think it might be your ignition timing too...did you plug in all the correct vacuum lines..?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think it might be your ignition timing too...did you plug in all the correct vacuum lines..?
No matter how screwed up an igintion timing is, it wont cause the motor to smoke. It'll run like ass, but not smoke. The smoking is something internal. Also, you dont need to unhook vacuum lines to change and gaskets in the motor. Unless he completely pulled off the intake manifold. Sounds like you either:

1) Used the wrong headgasket,
B) Didnt torque the headbolts down right, and your burning coolant
3) Most likely did both 1 and B. :lol:

norybg3

5+ Year Member
Alright I feel retarded, I took the head off to redo everything and make sure everything is right and I guess since I was in a rush to finish, I didn't notice that I had left oil in the cylinders :oops: So I cleaned everything and put everything back, and when I was tightening the nuts to the intake manifold I over tightened the last one and cracked the manifold :( So if anybody has a cheap intake manifold hit me up.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How....you cracked your intake manifold? You must of put some real power behind that, b/c Ive never heard of that happening. And if you had oil in the cylinders, it should only smoke for a little bit, unless you cracked it next to a coolant passage....

norybg3

5+ Year Member
Well when I turned it on and I saw that it was smoking, I would immediately turn it off in fear that I would further f**k something up. But yeah, it cracked right where the coolant line is connected to the manifold. Thats the only way I found out it was cracked cause when I was filling the radiator up with coolant it started leaking.