Car Update - Crappy phone pic warning again

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stopped by the turbo builders to drop off the torque converter and snapped a few pics of the progress so far. I really just need to keep my camera in the car all the time. These phone pics really don't do it justice. My custom grind turbo cams also showed up last week as well. Other than getting the heads sent out, i have most of the parts. Still going to have to figure a few things out later, like gauges, throttle body, and mass air, but nothing too major.

Transmission - Good to ~750rwhp (turbo builder thinks this might not be strong enough :shock: ) Too damn lazy to unwrap it.

Torque Converter (9.5" Pretty sure it's a 2800 rpm stall. Going to have to call to confirm). Looks like a 12" on the engine side, but is listed as a 9.5" converter. I've never seen one like this before, guess we'll see how it works out.

Turbo - Holy f**king s**t is this thing huge. Downpipe is 4" Inconel. Didn't think about it until after i left but i'm not sure how the wastegate is going to get routed. Have to ask next time i stop by. Cold side inlet is 5".

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:shock:goddamn son..

i always wanted a cobra but i couldnt afford one:x

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When I first see that trans I was like "wtf another v8 civic?" then I remembered you got the stang.
That's going to be a f**kin monster when it's all done. Is there a vid in the future? I had a 90gt a few years back that was stolen and wrecked so no stang hatin from me.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hella of setup! Sickness bro!
Thanks. I almost don't believe it myself. I always dreamed of having a setup like this, but never really thought i'd get there. To watch it come together is really cool. I just can't wait to get it all done. Should look and sound absolutely amazing and i'm sure it'll be pretty quick too.

When I first see that trans I was like "wtf another v8 civic?" then I remembered you got the stang.
That's going to be a f**kin monster when it's all done. Is there a vid in the future? I had a 90gt a few years back that was stolen and wrecked so no stang hatin from me.
Haha. I'm sure this is going to scare the f**king s**t out of me when i finally get on it. Talking to the owner of one of the turbo'd cobra r's at the shop has me a little worried. Breaking the tires loose at freeway speeds sounds pretty damn scary.

I'm sure i'll get a video of the car once it's completely done. Hopefully a good startup and idle vid (should be pretty mild/turbo cam and all) and hopefully a dyno vid. Then you've got to have a good video just on the street, getting on it a bit. All depends on if i can find a camera though.

Still trying to figure out if i'm going draw thru or blow thru for the MAF though. Going to have to talk to my tuner sometime this week and see what he thinks. I'd absolutely love to go blow thru with a blow-off valve venting to atmosphere though. Just love that sound.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I thought it was manual?

Sounds like this thing is gonna be a beast though, gonna be consistent with the auto.

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
god damn that thing is huge!

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I thought it was manual?

Sounds like this thing is gonna be a beast though, gonna be consistent with the auto.
Nope, always been an automatic.

Not having to get out of boost to shift will definitely help. As long as i can manage to actually get the power to the ground. Traction is going to be a major issue.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Damn that is a big turbo. What is your hp goal?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn that is a big turbo. What is your hp goal?
Originally i was looking at around 500ish rwhp with some room to grow to ~ 600 in the future.

That has changed though. Robert, the guy designing and building the turbo kit, as well as putting everything else together, seems to have his own ideas on how much power the car is going to make :laugh:

When i stopped by to drop off the torque converter he asked how much power the transmission is supposed to be good for. I told him 750 at the wheels (which i thought gave me a decent margin of safety) and he said he thought that might not be good enough :laugh: :shock:

Just a complete guess at this point, but i think it'll put down somewhere around 600rwhp. The only real restriction is going to be the stock intake. New intake and up the boost and i shouldn't have much trouble making 700-750+ hp.