Car won't start when hot. Please help

Brandonspringle

So when I drive my car to work ( about 20-30min away) and say if I had to stop at a store and run in and get something. I turn the car off and run inside but when I go to start my car, it doesn't start. You can hear the starter spinning, but it just doesn't want to turn over.

Also The car idles up and down even after it warms up. What could that be. I also can see oil in my coolant.

I'm really tired of having to leave my car running to go inside 711 or a part store.

I read somewhere that , there is something you can pour into your radiator that mixes with your coolant and seals up your head gasket if you have a leak.

The car is a 1991 Civic Lx 4dr
What's new.
Alternator
Starter
Distributer cap / rotor
Spark plugs / wires
Pcv valve
IACV
Battery

I just really need to figure this out.
Can someone help.

Brandonspringle

Maybe needs new ECT Sensor, Main Relay, or Distributer ? Idk I need some professional assistance.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
There are a number of reasons as to why it may not start up, are you mechanically inclined a bit? Do you have any cell codes?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oil in coolant and vice versa would lead me to believe there is a head gasket issue. Time to tear the head off, and examine/replace gaskets. That will give you an idea as to what's going on, anyway. Also, the idle issue could be a number of things, from a vacuum leak, to a leak in the throttle body (bad gasket/not torqued to spec), to an intake manifold issue. Is it throwing any codes at all? Also, running hot = check thermostat and cooling system thoroughly.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Oil in coolant and vice versa would lead me to believe there is a head gasket issue. Time to tear the head off, and examine/replace gaskets. That will give you an idea as to what's going on, anyway. Also, the idle issue could be a number of things, from a vacuum leak, to a leak in the throttle body (bad gasket/not torqued to spec), to an intake manifold issue. Is it throwing any codes at all? Also, running hot = check thermostat and cooling system thoroughly.

Tokyo is on the right track but OP we need a bit more feedback. Hot start issues are usually also tied to vacuum leaks although not always true. Have you checked your spark and fuel when cold and when hot? Something tells me head gasket but let's diagnose.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tokyo is on the right track but OP we need a bit more feedback. Hot start issues are usually also tied to vacuum leaks although not always true. Have you checked your spark and fuel when cold and when hot? Something tells me head gasket but let's diagnose.
:thumbs up

Brandonspringle

Yea it's throwing up code 10, 14, and 17.
I've already changed the thermostat. And I'm running out of ideas. It doesn't over heat but when the car is on the tempature gauge sits about 2/3's away from HOT !!

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Yea it's throwing up code 10, 14, and 17.
I've already changed the thermostat. And I'm running out of ideas. It doesn't over heat but when the car is on the tempature gauge sits about 2/3's away from HOT !!

As previously suspected, you are most likely having a vacuum leak. Code 10 is abnormal air temp in the intake. 14 is EACV. 17 is the VSS. Do you have starting fluid or brake cleaner? Also, do you have an ohm or voltmeter?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hot no starts can also be main relay. Bad solder connections will cause issues when they heat up (electronics dissipate heat when activated, causing the solder to heat up and possibly breaking the connection, which would deactivate spark and fuel) and once the solder cools down, the connection is reestablished.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As previously suspected, you are most likely having a vacuum leak. Code 10 is abnormal air temp in the intake. 14 is EACV. 17 is the VSS. Do you have starting fluid or brake cleaner? Also, do you have an ohm or voltmeter?
These codes need to be taken care of first and foremost. From here on, you should troubleshoot.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
These codes need to be taken care of first and foremost. From here on, you should troubleshoot.

Agreed^. OP, you need to do a proper diagnosis in the areas concerning these codes. Use google For any questions unless you get completely stumped and google/search feature has nothing. If the codes are resolved and you still have the issue (although unlikely) we can continue to help you troubleshoot.

boombotz401

Looks like you've got a few different issues going on,

As for the no start when hot I've had that issue before turned out to be the igniter in the dizzy

Oil in coolant sounds like a head gasket issue

Idle issues could be a multitude of things, with the codes your throwing check the iat sensor if that doesn't work start fishing around for vacuum leaks like others have stated