catalytic converter

HiddenNshadows

I just got a magnaflow highflow cat for a 98 ex & it was only 10$ more to get it threw autozone then internetplaces, its oem replacement & if u upgrade ur car later it wouldnt hurt to have. easy to do urself bolt up if u have the equipment. 2 in the front & 3 on the back, sensor might suk to get out so pb or dw will help. btw totaly cost for me was 161.somthing hope this helps

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a OEM cat if one is needed, but you shouldnt have to weld anything should just be a unbolt and put new one back on

DavidR

5+ Year Member
Why do after market cats throw a CEL for the po420? do they not clean up the emissions or some thing? I'm still driving with the bad one, and there aint no way im gonna shell out over 600 bucks for a OEM cat. How do I get rid of the CEL and keep it off once I've installed a new aftermarket cat?

emerican

Registered VIP
^ if its an actual cat thats up to oem specs then it wont throw a cel
aftermarket cheaper "high flow cats" or other cats are really just test pipes with little to no guts thats why it throws a cel
and the defouler trick installed over the 02 sensor that goes inside the kit will get rid of the cel
I have a test pipe with the defoulers done to it and dont have a cel

DavidR

5+ Year Member
^ if its an actual cat thats up to oem specs then it wont throw a cel
aftermarket cheaper "high flow cats" or other cats are really just test pipes with little to no guts thats why it throws a cel
and the defouler trick installed over the 02 sensor that goes inside the kit will get rid of the cel
I have a test pipe with the defoulers done to it and dont have a cel
what brand would you recomend that will do the job as well as a honda one? thanks for the reply.

death the kid

yes it's very hard if you don't have an impact wrench and they are the original bolts that haven't been moved since 1996 lol.

if everything moves freely then it's a 15 minute job. if bolts are seized and you don't have an impact wrench or a torch then it will quickly turn into 1.5 hrs of tugging and yanking and bruised knuckles

619CIVIC

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As long as ur not in California an aftermarket cat will do just fine. Here in Cali u HAVE to get it from the Honda dealer to pass smog, and the cat is $700-800 for oem. Aftermarket less than $200

death the kid

i just ran a test pipe to a yonaka and it's still mad quiet. test pipe was 40 bucks. not environmentally friendly but gets the job done and no cels. or the legit high flow route like he mentioned above. but OEM ? forget that nonsense.

DavidR

5+ Year Member
Just bought a 99 civic ex 5 speed manual that replaced my previous 99 ex auto :lol:. Got a CEL for the p0420 and did the spark plug non fouler trick to get rid of it. Cleard the code and after a few miles of driving I get Cel for a p0137. The sensor is brand new one of those universal types that you have to cut the old connector off for the new one. The cat on my new civic is completly shot, The internals are broken and rattle like crazie woundering if this might have some thing to do with it. Could an exhaust leak cause the low voltage on the sensor? I did have to stomp at the ratchet a few times to get the sensor out because it was so badly rusted.