Civic OEM paint codes 1999 vs. 2000

MugenBoy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi guys,

I have a Vogue Silver (door jam color code NH-583M-4) 1999 Civic hatchback. I just bolted up a set of brand new silver 2000 Civic Si (SiR for Canadian readers) side skirts. For those who may not know, when the Civic Si (or SiR) coupe was first introduced in 1999, it wasn't available in Vogue Silver (at least, not here in Canada). It wasn't until 2000 that Honda introduced the car in silver, but the color was called New Vogue Silver.

The reason I bring this up is because I passed by a local body shop a short time ago to drop off my JDM Civic Type R mirrors to have them painted, and a guy there said that the color of my skirts didn't match the rest of my car...! But when I checked the color code when I bought the skirts, it was 583M.

I will admit that the color is just a touch off, but I personally think that the difference could be because 1. the skirts are brand new, and haven't even been exposed to 5 minutes worth of natural sunlight yet, and 2. because I haven't washed my car for a few days, so it's a bit dirty.

Just out of curiousity though, does anybody know if there is a difference in color codes between the 1999 Vogue Silver (NH-583M) and the 2000 New Vogue Silver?

Thanks in advance.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if its the same paint color and code its the same color

MugenBoy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's what I figured, but this dude at the bodyshop just kept pushing it! Felt like pimp-slappin' the guy and tellin' him to shut the f*** up and get his blind-ass checked out!

Don't get me wrong, there is a slight difference. But, like I said in my original post, the skirts are BRAND NEW - they still have the factory applied wax on them. I'm banking on the fact that once they get hit with enough sunlight - and a few hundred high-speed trips up and down the highway to and from work - the color will dull abit and look more than the paint that's on the car already.

I don't care really. I think the car looks good with 'em. And once the body shop is finished painting my JDM power folding mirrors and JDM thin side molding (I don't think I mentioned that in the original post) I think the car will really start to look nice. I'm going for a stock Civic Type R look - nothin' fancy.

But if anyone still knows if there's a difference between the '99 Vogue Silver and the '00 New Vogue Silver, please let me know - I'm still curious to find out if there's a difference.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
agreed, paint will "fade" some when exposed to the environment

MugenBoy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I guess it's safe to assume there is no difference between the silver used on '99 Ciivics, versus the silver used on '00 Civics?

And anfrey, you're probably right - the paint on the new skirts will most likely fade to closer match the existing paint. Heck, maybe I'll park it outside tomorrow, just to speed up the process :-) This is assuming it doesn't rain, of course...we've had a HORRIBLE summer in T.O. so far.

MugenBoy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, you're probably right.

In fact, I had the car out for the first time today since I installed them, and I gotta say that the car looked SWEET! I gave it a very thorough washing yesterday, and I really couldn't tell a difference between the paint colors. My girlfriend saw the car for the first time and she didn't notice a difference either - although she did say that she liked the way the car looked.

The guy at the body shop was probably just pissed off because about 3 months ago, I went to him asking how much he wanted to paint my stock side skirts. For the price he was asking, it was only a little more expensive to get new genuine Honda Si/SiR units. So that's what I did!

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Actually, it's entirely possible for the body shop guy to be right... You said your paint code was NH-583M-4 and the SiR's paint code is NH-583M... but you didn't put the last number code? The last number is the factory paint code... Color codes stay the same, but factory codes change from year to year and even month to month sometimes. The factory code is the exact shade of the paint... which can have up to 25 different shade variences.
BUT... on a color like silver, the factory code is only going to make a difference in how much pearl is in the paint.. therefore, there wont be any really noticable color difference.
An example of the difference would be... my paint code is PB-74P-4.... the paint used to repaint my bumpers is PB-74P-M ... not much real difference, but the paint is 'slightly' darker... not very noticable unless you're looking for it.

MugenBoy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, makes sense. But assuming that's true, where can I find out what the color code is for the skirts I put on the car? I mean, when I ordered them, I know that I saw "583M" on the invoice...where would the "-x" number/letter paint code be so that I can compare.

Thanks for the response

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
MugenBoy said:
Ok, makes sense. But assuming that's true, where can I find out what the color code is for the skirts I put on the car? I mean, when I ordered them, I know that I saw "583M" on the invoice...where would the "-x" number/letter paint code be so that I can compare.

Thanks for the response
On late model hondas, the factory code is on the color identification plate itself... like the one that's on your door jam, or there should be another one next to the VIN number on the fire wall. Or go to your local paint shop and see if they have a PPG color chip book with color codes for the year/model car you're looking for...

But as I said before... there probably wont be very much difference in the over all color... you might not even notice a difference.
And if there is, and it bothers you, why not just get them repainted to match the color code on your car?

jacksplat

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its all about how much psi is being used by the painter exp.
the painter that painted my car used the same psi that was used by the manf. when the car was painted.
so a 5 psi defrance can make more silver flake come out or less if you have a 3 stage paint set up.
i have r34 red 3 stage paint