Clarification for y8 header on y7 head

iOn

I like pie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just need some clarification as I am about to put on a y8 header on my y7 head.

I know I will need the y8 header, y8 downpipe, y8 catalytic converter, and extended secondary o2 sensor to fit onto my existing y7. Would I use a y8 gaskets for the whole application? Do I need to use a certain type of wire to extend the o2 sensor? And for future reference, would an y8 axle back exhaust be the same as the y7?

I think that's all the questions I have... thanks!

iOn

I like pie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ Thanks for that. Pics will help if I come into any snags. I'll be using an EX header and a Magnaflow cat here.

LiveEj6

hope it works for you... i had the same set up on my y7, stainless steal header magnaflow cat and cat back no name. only problem the cat did not get hot enough to burn some of the exhaust off. left black sludge all over my rear bumper trunk and spoiler over time comes off just looks bad. GL.

iOn

I like pie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, I was about to start until I saw that I need to get my existing y7 pipes fabricated in order for the y8 to be connected. I didn't know :(. Before I noticed it finally, I was trying to take off the bolt and spring on the pipe; however, one side is seized up pretty good... I can't get the nut to budge. Any suggestions on that? I might just take all the parts I have to a local exhaust shop to get it done for me.

Ed[K*]

GO! GO! GADGET VTEC!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no!! dont spend money when you dont have to!

buy this at autozone:

best investment youll ever make :thumbs up

iOn

I like pie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I talked to my friend and he said he can help me get that nut out. But, how do I put the cat converter onto the existing piping? I will need to get a shop weld a flange on right?

Ed[K*]

GO! GO! GADGET VTEC!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you view my thread? any cat, even a high flow cat, as long as it is described to fit your 6th gen will bolt
on directly to the down pipe/header. and to connect it to the rest of the stock piping, yes you will need someone
to cut it and then weld a 3-point flange to directly bolt on to the cat. GL

iOn

I like pie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, I understand that, but in you see in your picture that you posted here:

...the stock piping extends longer to the left which removes the space/length for the cat converter.