Cleaning Head before head gasket

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So I need help with changing a head gasket. Now this isn't a civic I'm working on but I'm sure the idea is the same. We got the head off and there is residue from the old gasket on the head. What can I use to take that off?
Can we just put the new gasket on top of that? We would really rather not even if it's ok to.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it must be cleaned very well

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So what should we use to clean it off with? We don't want to scratch it using something too abrasive, but we were thinking of just using that like steel wool stuff. Would that be too harsh to use on the head?

We already had to take off some nasty blue liquid gasket stuff that previous owner put on instead of buying the $20 valve cover gasket. This whole car has been a pain and there's plenty more coming with the wiring being all messed up.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I usually use PB blaster. Spray the hard to remove gasket and let it sit. If it needs more help, boil water and dump it on it.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe some goo gone spray? But I'd be careful with letting any chemicals get in the cylinder unless you plan on cleaning everything

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well we got pretty far on the car. Headgasket is on and was pretty clean at the end of it. We're definitely happy with the progress we made.

Now the hard part. :/
We stupidly took the cams off not marking the position they were in and now don't know how to put them back in.
Any ideas on how we should go about putting the cams back in and making sure the timing is correct?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
carefully use a razorblade?