Clutch and Flywheel in today!!

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got my 7 lb. fidenza flywheel ane excedy clutch in finally. My friend and I started last night at 1 in the morning, got tired by 7, crashed out and had it done after a break for a few hours of sleep. It was my first time doing anything that major and it turned out good. Turns out you have to remove the whole subframe to take the transmission out but having all the right tools got the job done. Now I am on clutch break in period for a while so I cant see its full potential quite yet but I am excited.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
That's cool man, what else do you have pushing those wheels? Engine should reving quite a bit more freely and faster huh? But don't you lose some torque? like revs also dropping faster when shifting or letting off the gas? Tell us how it goes.

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The only thing I have noticed is its a little more touchy starting out in first or going in reverse but besides that yeah the revs are nice now. Gotta wait to push it though :( hehe. Its got intake header, high flow cat, cat back exhaust. The rest is suspension and cosmetic but I'll have a garage in may so I hope to get some more done when summer hits. Revs do drop faster but not enough to effect your shifting. And I also had heard that when you let off the gas that the engine will slow you down quicker but I havent noticed that. I only drove it home from my friends garage so I'll have to drive it some more before I can really say.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yeah make sure you let that thing break in nice and smoothly.

what i want in mine is a little more touchy throttle in this D17, so that sounds better to me lol

so yeah, don't forget to tell us how much nicer it feels after you break it in, and start flooring it. ;)

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Drove it to school and back today. The shifting is so smooth now. With the 7lb flywheel that thing revs almost like a damn bike lol. Not quite that fast but there is a big difference.

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well thanks to Kaotic for being the only one to post in my thread!!

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're gonna loose power with a 7lb wheel

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Ian01ex said:
Well thanks to Kaotic for being the only one to post in my thread!!
lol not anymore.

i wouldn't mind too much if i had to lose a little power just to have a fast revving engine.

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
You're gonna loose power with a 7lb wheel
You loose a little off the line but thats it. I'm not too worried about it. This is all prep for my plans later on this year which will take care of the small power loss. I have heard from numerous people that at a roll or after you start moving the lighter flywheel helps you.

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
id also get a short throw shifter-less throw means faster shifting less time for flywheel to slow down. do you know what the stock flywheel weighs?

Kingjames83

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got the exedy flywheel and clutch and its really smooth and revs nice.. first is a bit touchy but that was to be expected! I dont know how close it would feel to yours being a dif flywheel. I just a little of the line but more than gained it after 4k.

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I allready have a short throw shifter. I think the stock one is like 18lbs if I remember right. Anywho I cant wait for the breakin period to be over, I'm about half-way through it right now so almost there.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Question. I think I need to replace my clutch within the next few months. Does anyone have any opinions or anything that they could direct me to that might help me decide on what clutch to choose. I know what torque i want it to be able to hold and I'd like it to be similar to the oem pedal pressure. Anything is helpful

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sure a lighter flywheel can help you, but it will also cause your tranny to wear quicker. Just a heads up. Watch out for that ISB... its a kicker.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
why exactly will it cause my tranny to wear more than a normal sized oem flywheel? cuz the oem one might be balanced with the trans or?