Clutch and Flywheel in today!!

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A; No you dont lose power, in fact you gain! Its just at a different RPM range.
B; There is no difference in tranny wear if you shift correctly.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Even if it were less, it could theoretically require the same amount of torque or more depending on where most of the mass of the flywheel is at. For the most part though it would require less torque from the engine to turn it. Since the motor can spin the flywheel more freely at a certain rpm then it would potentially allow it to transmit more power to the ground. I am unsure though if this lighter flywhell would do much to effect the balance of the motor. I'll have to look up exactly if they do anything relating to balancing the drives and the components with the flywheel on the motor after it has been assembled. More than likely I would guess that it would only be balanced with the internal components.

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RHennin said:
Even if it were less, it could theoretically require the same amount of torque or more depending on where most of the mass of the flywheel is at. For the most part though it would require less torque from the engine to turn it. Since the motor can spin the flywheel more freely at a certain rpm then it would potentially allow it to transmit more power to the ground. I am unsure though if this lighter flywhell would do much to effect the balance of the motor. I'll have to look up exactly if they do anything relating to balancing the drives and the components with the flywheel on the motor after it has been assembled. More than likely I would guess that it would only be balanced with the internal components.
Normally the front pulley (vibration damper) does the final balancing. A lighter flywheel is not about more power, but quicker response from the motor.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Would we see signs of better MPG with a lighter flywheel? or worse? i feel like the answer is gonna be worse.

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow guys, good info. Glad to get all this out there for people to read in the future.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah but the car slows down faster because something about torque though the transmission in the high gears.

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Kaotic_Zeus said:
yeah but the car slows down faster because something about torque though the transmission in the high gears.
But it also goes up faster and further if theres no revlimiter.:lol: ( my old BMW would wind up so fast it would come apart:( )

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Hmm.. Something about a really light flywheel doesn't sound like it's that great though, or else all honda motors would come stock with light flywheels.

...Isn't a flywheel that's lighter not as strong , meaning if you make those motors try pushing 500hp it can break easier.

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its not stock because it requires the driver to think! Its not as easy to start off .

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Kaotic_Zeus said:
It slows down because a lighter flywheel has less rotational mass than the heavier one.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
pon55 said:
Its not stock because it requires the driver to think! Its not as easy to start off .
AHH, thats one thing i don't want to do more of, "think".

but good info.