Clutch help

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well last night I decided to go out and shake some dust off my launching skills and I noticed that when I try to drop the clutch from 4 thousand rpm it doesn’t burn out anymore it just takes off kinda slow like if am slipping the clutch. So I tried it from 5 grand and it takes off good like it use to take off from 4 grand. One of my friends says that I just need to readjust my clutch. Another says that it’s starting to slip and I can’t do anything about it. Another says I need a new one. When I drive normal everything is fine and even if am speeding and shifting fast the gears catch quick, so the problem is only when I want to launch it. What can I do to fix this?

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
maybe ur letting the rpm drop back down before u release the clutch..or maybe ur not releasing the clutch fast enough

*do u bog?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Please, DON'T drive your car hard. Especially not a 6th gen EX! They have bitchy transmissions which get really cranky when driven hard at all.

I don't usually even drive mine too hard and still it's falling apart now. This is the last S40 K4F I'll have.

<-- has a new clutch, but come to find out the tranny's going out too. Now I wasted money on a new clutch for a shitty tranny.

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No I don't bog and I have done it plenty of times before with success and to clear this up this is in a 99 civic si not my 98 ex.

Black Sheep Performance

5+ Year Member
Hopefully I can help on this one.

A) If you need a new clutch, you will know it. It will feel completely horrid and go out completely on you very soon - it's not something that will elude you ;).

B) What adjustment is he speaking of? You don't adjust hydraulic transmissions. The adjustment is less than a 1/4 inch. He's thinking of a cable tranny, not the case if this is a 99 Si.

C) It may be slipping, it may be worn from you racing on it and it's not the same surface as it once was.

Please take these other things into consideration as well:

- Are your tires in the same tread condition they were before?
- Were you launching on the same ground type?
- Was there more debris on that piece of ground this time, or less, than before?
- Have you made any other modifications to your vehicle since then?

Hope this helps, somehow. =)

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Black Sheep Performance said:
Hopefully I can help on this one.

A) If you need a new clutch, you will know it. It will feel completely horrid and go out completely on you very soon - it's not something that will elude you ;).

B) What adjustment is he speaking of? You don't adjust hydraulic transmissions. The adjustment is less than a 1/4 inch. He's thinking of a cable tranny, not the case if this is a 99 Si.

C) It may be slipping, it may be worn from you racing on it and it's not the same surface as it once was.

Please take these other things into consideration as well:

- Are your tires in the same tread condition they were before?
- Were you launching on the same ground type?
- Was there more debris on that piece of ground this time, or less, than before?
- Have you made any other modifications to your vehicle since then?

Hope this helps, somehow. =)
A) The clutch feels good and it's given me no problems other than that so far.
B) I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday
C)I think your right on this one. I don't beat on my car often as a matter of fact I barely use it but I have been known to drive spirited every now and then.

Also this happend on the same place I always practice. So in your opinion should I just keep it till it goes or should I replace it anytime soon. Like I said the only diff. now is that I have to lauch at 5 grand now, not that I race that often anyways.

JoeB

Skunk2 racing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Please, DON'T drive your car hard. Especially not a 6th gen EX! They have bitchy transmissions which get really cranky when driven hard at all.

I don't usually even drive mine too hard and still it's falling apart now. This is the last S40 K4F I'll have.

<-- has a new clutch, but come to find out the tranny's going out too. Now I wasted money on a new clutch for a shitty tranny.

not as bad as seventh gen....and maybe you drive yours hard cause i went 120,000 miles my original one before i got my new motor and tranny.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
JoeB said:
not as bad as seventh gen....and maybe you drive yours hard cause i went 120,000 miles my original one before i got my new motor and tranny.
I have over 130,000 on my original transmission. I had 127,000 on my original clutch. I don't drive mine overly hard.

JoeB

Skunk2 racing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
I have over 130,000 on my original transmission. I had 127,000 on my original clutch. I don't drive mine overly hard.

word..i was just saying i drive my hard, but smart.....i got 110,000 on my factory clutch, which is good for oem, by the rocking the red civic is the way to go.

JoeB

Skunk2 racing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh and by the way if you are wanting to know what kind of clutch to buy...please, please search before posting.

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What makes you think I would post another thread asking what clutch to buy? Besides my clutch still has a lot of life left on it and if I were to buy another I would get the ACT street/strip one or maybe the Jun.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i personally wouldn't wait untill its completely gone, then you may have other probs w/ the flywheel or possibly the whole tranny, that is the one time where "don't fix what ain't broke" should NOT come into play, and that act is a nice clutch

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
But it doesn't give me any problems at all and this morning I raced a camaro and it did real good. Didn't have any problems shifting at all and it took off good too. I just have to hold the rpm's a little higher but I will probably change it when I change the tranny fluid in a month or two just to stay on the safe side.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
j_fukin_t said:
i personally wouldn't wait untill its completely gone, then you may have other probs w/ the flywheel or possibly the whole tranny, that is the one time where "don't fix what ain't broke" should NOT come into play, and that act is a nice clutch
This is what a friend of mine had told me to do. To wait until it was completely gone. He also told me just because my clutch was making noise doesn't mean it needs to be fixed. Now I'm suffering from a tranny that's dying. Oh well, no more S40 K4F for me again.

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I guess it looks like I will be getting a new clutch soon. Thanks for all the help guys