Code 72 And Overheat

webcamcivic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My car has a code 72 and the engine temp goes all the way up to high but the radiator isn't even hot. someone please help me

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I couldnt find the definition for Code 72. But from your explanation Im gonna assume its the Collant Temp Sensor.

Did you just flush your coolant system or install a new thermostat?

A cold coolant system is usually caused by a faulty thermostat that is stuck open. Thus continually flowing coolant.

The high temp needle could be caused from air being trapped in your coolant system also.

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
72- Cylinder 2 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire

nd4sped pretty much explained the overheating possibilities.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Revolver said:
72- Cylinder 2 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire

nd4sped pretty much explained the overheating possibilities.
Good find Revolver. I just couldnt find it.

webcamcivic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just installed a cam. could that be the problem? Sometimes when i am in third and i reach 6000rpm my engine begins to sound like if it is redlining and after that i could only go to 5000rpm before it redlines. what does that mean?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
webcamcivic said:
I just installed a cam. could that be the problem? Sometimes when i am in third and i reach 6000rpm my engine begins to sound like if it is redlining and after that i could only go to 5000rpm before it redlines. what does that mean?
What stage cam is it?. You shouldnt really have any problem. But it sounds liek you have a wild profile that is letting in so much air that teh fuel can compensate and its so lean that it wont ignite the mixture.

But it sounds liek you dont hae adequate fuel so its getting cut off.