Coilovers

decimus

Fitment Hater
Alright guys I'm looking in to getting some one piece coilovers for my sedan. The car is going to be daily driven with the occasional autocross/HPDE involved. I've narrowed it down to 3 sets that I would consider. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Apex'i N1, the BC Racing BR, or Buddy Club N+ Spec coilovers? If you don't have those specific ones feel free to tell me which ones you do have and how you liked the ride, the quality of the item, what you use them for, etc.

James315

I have apexi n1 coilovers and I love them. The ride can be harsh so if you plan on driving daily maybe not the best choice or most cost effective.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
+1 Ground controls

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If your only occasionally tracking it, try a set of PIC Apex, had fairly cheap through thmotorsports.com

Pic selects are the adjustable damping style, and in the same range as the buddy club coilovers.

decimus

Fitment Hater
I had GC's on my '90 hatch. I heard Koni yellows can't really take more then a 1.5" drop and that's no bueno.

decimus

Fitment Hater
I have apexi n1 coilovers and I love them. The ride can be harsh so if you plan on driving daily maybe not the best choice or most cost effective.
Ok thanks for your reply. I've had some pretty harsh riding suspensions before. But are they not dampening adjustable?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There's no need at all to spend $1200+ on a set of coilovers that will primarily only be used for street use. You'll just be wasting hundreds of dollars.. The Koni and Ground Control setup is very popular for good reason. It'll do all that those coilovers that cost twice as much can do, last just as long if not longer and both have a life time warranty. Best bang for buck suspension out there hands down.

decimus

Fitment Hater
There's no need at all to spend $1200+ on a set of coilovers that will primarily only be used for street use. You'll just be wasting hundreds of dollars.. The Koni and Ground Control setup is very popular for good reason. It'll do all that those coilovers that cost twice as much can do, last just as long if not longer and both have a life time warranty. Best bang for buck suspension out there hands down.
How do Koni yellows hold up if you lower the car more than 1 to 1.5"? I haven't heard many positive things. Maybe you could shed some light on that? Could it void the Konis warranty?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How do Koni yellows hold up if you lower the car more than 1 to 1.5"? I haven't heard many positive things. Maybe you could shed some light on that? Could it void the Konis warranty?
They work just fine. The yellows were designed to be used for aggressive street use to regular track abuse. They work very well with spring rates ranging from stock up to 600lbs/in(or around 11kg/mm). Where have you heard negative info on Konis?? That's almost unheard of. I have Koni/GC set up on both of my race cars. I've had them on my '95 for a good 6+ years with not 1 single issue ever. They've been on my '91 Si ever since I started driving it about 3 years and I know they've been on the car longer. Again, not one single issue.

My cars are lowered far more than 1.5"..

rustycivic2000

Registered VIP
You can go lower than 1.5in on Koni's no problem. My brother at one point was dropped over 3", and they still worked great. You obviously need stiff spring rates, to compensate for being that low, but many people go lower that 1.5in. Here is from Koni's site:

KONIs are designed to fit standard height cars and can work with lowered cars as long as they don't bottom out internally and become damaged. Unlike some shocks, KONIs are not position sensitive so they will work properly anywhere in their stroke range providing they are not bottoming or topping out.
So as long as your spring rates are high enough, you can go pretty darn low with them.

And it does not affect their warranty.....one of my friends has replaced each of his shocks in the past 2 years (they've been on the car since '99, when his dad was driving the car).

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have never heard bad things about the Koni/GC combo...

decimus

Fitment Hater
They work just fine. The yellows were designed to be used for aggressive street use to regular track abuse. They work very well with spring rates ranging from stock up to 600lbs/in(or around 11kg/mm). Where have you heard negative info on Konis?? That's almost unheard of. I have Koni/GC set up on both of my race cars. I've had them on my '95 for a good 6+ years with not 1 single issue ever. They've been on my '91 Si ever since I started driving it about 3 years and I know they've been on the car longer. Again, not one single issue.

My cars are lowered far more than 1.5"..

Well that's all I needed to see. I'm sold. Thanks a lot for your input. Really appreciate it as I want to get in to autocross soon as well so it's good to see that set up work so well for it.

decimus

Fitment Hater
What kind of spring rates would you recommend civexspeedy? I have a choice of 340, 380 or 430 lbs/infor the front and 250, 350 and 430 lbs/in for the rear.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Choosing spring rates for mostly a street application comes down to preferences and comfort. If you're never going to get serious about autox or track stuff, don't focus on going crazy with the spring rates. If you don't plan on being competitive to the point you're doing events every weekend and spending thousands of dollars, there's just no point. So focus more on what would be comfortable for you on the street. If you drive a lot every day, esp on roads that are bad, I might say 380f/250r. If you can bare the road imperfections and maybe don't drive a whole lot on bad roads, then maybe 380f/350r. If you plan on lowering the car quite a bit, then maybe 430f/350r.

These are all only suggestions from my personal experience. There is no real right or wrong when choosing spring rates. It comes down to personal preference and the only way to determine that is by picking something and trying it out. What one thinks is bearable and comfortable could be too harsh and uncomfortable to another. The great thing about the GC setup is you can just buy new springs with different rates until you find what is comfortable and sell your old ones and not lose a whole lot.

decimus

Fitment Hater
Choosing spring rates for mostly a street application comes down to preferences and comfort. If you're never going to get serious about autox or track stuff, don't focus on going crazy with the spring rates. If you don't plan on being competitive to the point you're doing events every weekend and spending thousands of dollars, there's just no point. So focus more on what would be comfortable for you on the street. If you drive a lot every day, esp on roads that are bad, I might say 380f/250r. If you can bare the road imperfections and maybe don't drive a whole lot on bad roads, then maybe 380f/350r. If you plan on lowering the car quite a bit, then maybe 430f/350r.

These are all only suggestions from my personal experience. There is no real right or wrong when choosing spring rates. It comes down to personal preference and the only way to determine that is by picking something and trying it out. What one thinks is bearable and comfortable could be too harsh and uncomfortable to another. The great thing about the GC setup is you can just buy new springs with different rates until you find what is comfortable and sell your old ones and not lose a whole lot.
I'm planning on lowering in the 2.5" to 2.75" range front and rear. I imagine 430/350 would be ideal then?