coolant melting rubber tube

vep

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi all I have a problem which I cant find any answer for my coolant reservoir tube inside the bottle seems to be melting again I changed it a few months ago after noticing the problem and got a new one now its happening again and I dont think melting rubber would be a good thing running through my coolant system.
Anyone help with this.
Thanks

RonJ

Banned
What color is the coolant in the reservoir? Can you post a picture? Are you losing coolant?

vep

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have been losing coolant and I have been using that pre mixed 50/50 stuff the color in side the bottle should be green but with the hose melting it a darkish green with black rubber floating in it.

RonJ

Banned
Just replace the hose.

Have you found a coolant leak? Does the reservoir overflow?

vep

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have already replaced the hose a few months back but before that I had replaced the thermostat and had a heater hose blowout on me I havent seen any coolant leaks but the bottle will be full and after about 2 weeks it all gone

RonJ

Banned
You obviously need to check the coolant level regularly in both the reservoir and radiator. Does the engine overheat every time you drive the car?

When the engine is hot, does the radiator fan run?

Do you ever see gas bubbles in the coolant in the reservoir or radiator?

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Does your car smoke excessively out the exhaust? Could be a bad headgasket slowly leaking. You could try a block test to confirm. If you have no external leaks then that is most likely the issue. Have you pressure tested the cooling system to see if it holds pressure?

vep

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The car doesnt have any problems with over heating the rad fan only kicks in when it was over heating with the bad stat and I havent seen any bubbles in the coolant bottle or the rad.
Is it ok for this melting rubber to be going round my coolant system or should I get it flushed and replace the bottle and tube and just see if it happens again ?

vep

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it dont smoke from the exhaust but the tail pipe fell of the box months ago along with what was inside the muffler box my cat is bad and my resonator pipe broke but I got that welded.
Sorry my car falling to bits but I am trying to fix it lol
How would I pressure test the coolant system I am no mechanic just learning as I go ?

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
How would I pressure test the coolant system I am no mechanic just learning as I go ?
You have to have a special tester, may be able to rent one idk. But thats just a way to test it, if you can't notice any obvious leaks then don't worry about it. In your opinion is the bigger problem the overheating or losing coolant? By that I mean are you losing coolant very fast, and how bad is it overheating?

THEDARKONE

Registered VIP
how about if you get a metal hose and mix the coolent like 80/20?

or replace the radiator?

is the check engine on??

vep

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well the car is not over heating temp gauge stays the same but I am losing coolant from somwhere just dont know where.
The rad is a couple of years old I replaced it when I moved down here and my check engine light is on the code reads O2/Cat I had a new O2 sensor put in and it knocked the light out for a week then it came back.
A friend told me today that the coolant may be mixing with oil that is why I am not seeing any coolant leaks but I do have a few small oil leaks.
He also said that it may be my head gasket going:(
But the car is still running fine it been from NC to NY and back 5 times with a broken CV axle and all these problems.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
how about if you get a metal hose and mix the coolent like 80/20?
^^ignore this.

or replace the radiator?

is the check engine on??
If the radiator is not leaking, don't replace it. If the CEL is on, pull the code and go from there. But after all this it seems like a head gasket because you are not leaking externally. When the head gasket starts getting really bad you will start to notice milky oil and alot of smoke out the exhaust. And the car will start to run poorly and overheat.

HonDaReal

Pics would help and oil can cause the rubber to deteriorate but it should be affecting the entire hose not just the end of it.

vep

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the help guys I am going to see about getting the head gasket replaced a few other ppl have hinted at that may be the problem.
Hope it aint too expensive

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Thanks for the help guys I am going to see about getting the head gasket replaced a few other ppl have hinted at that may be the problem.
Hope it aint too expensive
If you do it yourself its only a couple hundred worst case for gasket set, but if it needs any head work then you can add about 100-150 to that. If you take it somewhere it would probably run 700-900 worst case I would say because you pay for alot of labor.

vep

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I think I am going to need to get another car and park the civic to get the work done on it that is if it worth spending so much on the car it has so many repairs to be done.
I had the engine codes read today and 2 new ones miss-fire cylinder 1& 2 looks like plugs and leads to go on the list too.