Cracked header help!

Mern

Come at me bro.
Googled it a bit, wanted to see what you guys had for opinions! Just found this crack last week upon removing the cover on my header and I think it solves a ton of my problems. (pictured below)
1) A whistle that sounds like the turbo in a diesel truck.
2) Sh*t terrible gas mileage, as it is probably throwing my o2 sensor off.
3) Might be behind some heat in the bay who knows.
Anyways should I weld this, pick up a used oem one or get an Egay one?
- Thanks Mern

By the way I didn't take this picture but it's identical to my crack.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1999CivicEX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes, you could weld this but from experience it will do it again. Might as well get a decent header now instead of having to deal with it cracking again at another time

Trekk

Registered VIP
the only real way to fix something like that, is to drill holes at both ends of the crack (to stop it) then pretty much V cut the crack then weld it back. Otherwise all you are doing it putting a weld on top of the crack and those dont hold very long.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had an identical crack. I replaced it with a Magnaflow Header. I thought if I needed to change it, I might as well upgrade it. Keep in mind its not inexpensive, but I did find an authorized website that sells it at a low price.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get a new header but don't go with one of the cheap eBay ones or it will just do the same thing again.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get a new header but don't go with one of the cheap eBay ones or it will just do the same thing again.
Agreed. You might as well just weld it instead of buying an eBay one.

Mern

Come at me bro.
I had an identical crack. I replaced it with a Magnaflow Header. I thought if I needed to change it, I might as well upgrade it. Keep in mind its not inexpensive, but I did find an authorized website that sells it at a low price.
Thanks for the great input guys! have that website handy by chance?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
have that website handy by chance?
http://www.wcpdiesel.com/
As you'll see, they have a "Make An Offer" option. Shoot them a $300 offer & theyll reply with the lowest offer they'll take. Itll be lower than anywhere else. I researched and compared alot.

FYI, the proper part for HXs is 49282.