crank pulley (alt/ps) sheered off

RonJ

Banned
When the crank pulley falls off, one common reason is that the guide plates were installed incorrectly. Best to check them.

i need the special tool just to tighten that bolt?
What do you think?

how do you use the tool?
Attach a breaker bar.

xHanzJay

Lulzaflopter
i looked up how to do this on youtube, and the middle of my pulley isn't hex shaped. there wouldn't be anything for the tool to grab onto.

i'm sorry this is making me feel really stupid. i hope my questions aren't like as stupid as they feel.

RonJ

Banned
Go to the junk yard, buy a used stock crank pulley for your engine, and install it. Check the guide plates during installation.

xHanzJay

Lulzaflopter

xHanzJay

Lulzaflopter
Put your brain into listening, comprehending, and learning mode.
i think this was a little uncalled for.
obviously you're a Honda guru that deserves a lot of respect, and i really do appreciate your help.
with that said, the hex tool will not work on my engine, it's not made for my engine, the stock d15b7 pulley is NOT hex shaped in the middle. So... i was feeling so stupid because you gave me wrong information that i was taking as fact. Upon 2nd checking your information, it turns out that i'm not stupid at all.

again, i appreciate your help and please don't take that^^ the wrong way. i really am grateful, because without your help i'd never have even looked up the tool thing.

RonJ

Banned
i think this was a little uncalled for.
My response was totally justified. Members constantly ask unnecessary questions because they type faster than they think. I can show you examples in your own posts. I can't say it too many times -- Listen, comprehend, and learn.

RonJ

Banned
with that said, the hex tool will not work on my engine, it's not made for my engine, the stock d15b7 pulley is NOT hex shaped in the middle. So... i was feeling so stupid because you gave me wrong information that i was taking as fact. Upon 2nd checking your information, it turns out that i'm not stupid at all.
What 93 Civic trim do you have?

xHanzJay

Lulzaflopter
What 93 Civic trim do you have?
Hatchback
it's a CX. it came with a d15b8 engine. 8 valve. power nothing.
swapped to a DX engine, the d15b7. 16 valve. (also a DX transmission)

but it was done before i bought it.

RonJ

Banned
Hatchback
it's a CX. it came with a d15b8 engine. 8 valve. power nothing.
swapped to a DX engine, the d15b7. 16 valve. (also a DX transmission)

but it was done before i bought it.
My understanding is that ALL D15b7 engines, except those lacking PS and A/C, came with a crank pulley that uses the hex crank pulley tool. In the future, the first post of any tech thread that you create should include detailed car and engine information.

xHanzJay

Lulzaflopter
i ended up putting a screw driver through the pulley hole and using the frame rail to stop the engine from spinning.
that plus a breaker bar on the ratchet = plenty tight enough. drove it about 100 miles with no issues.

My understanding is that ALL D15b7 engines, except those lacking PS and A/C, came with a crank pulley that uses the hex crank pulley tool. In the future, the first post of any tech thread that you create should include detailed car and engine information.
maybe the ones that came with BOTH of those have the hex shape. but my pulley has two belts on it. not sure if the second one is for PS or for A/C though. probably A/C
and also i posted a video of the issue which clearly shows my pulley, which also clearly shows it's not hex shaped. just saying.

but sure, next time i'll make sure to post more detailed information.