Crazy Swap Question...

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well . Its about time for me to get a swap for my 93 civic DX with 350,000 miles on it. :oops: :lol: .. Anyways, I have a 1994 toyota Camry LE engine / Transmission with 30,000 miles on it, complete wiring harness, computers, motor mounts. I was wondering, If I have my friend make me custom motor mounts, do you think its possible for the engine to be swapped into my civic. I was kind of skeptical to the whole idea, because i am not sure if the civic / toyota bell housing would be the same.. But i probably could get the engine to fit with custom motor mounts. Would I have to make custom shift linkage, or could I use the linkage from the camry, and just have the camry shifter there instead of civic? If this is even remotely possible, I will be starting this swap very soon .. Thanks!

richocet1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anything is possible with the right amount of money. this is going to be interesting. what are the specs on the camry engine?

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's SO not worth it.....

racerx661

certified pervert
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmmm...i think the camry only has 160 hp...I wouldnt do it...if you just have it laying around then sell it...

Dr.Anus

proctologist
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Meh, probably spend more money than on a honda swap, even with the engine.

-extensive wiring issues.
-drive shafts
-if drive shaft problem is resolved, mating with the wheel hub
-space in the bay, esp if it's the v6
-vacuum lines, fuel lines
-shift linkage (may even be a cable type)
-power steering pump (dx, might luck out on this one?)
-mounts may be totally off requiring extensive fab work

Probably more, but a headache non the less.

-but possible with $!

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Dr.Anus said:
Meh, probably spend more money than on a honda swap, even with the engine.

-extensive wiring issues.
-drive shafts
-if drive shaft problem is resolved, mating with the wheel hub
-space in the bay, esp if it's the v6
-vacuum lines, fuel lines
-shift linkage (may even be a cable type)
-power steering pump (dx, might luck out on this one?)
-mounts may be totally off requiring extensive fab work

Probably more, but a headache non the less.

-but possible with $!
Its a 4-cylinder 2200cc (2.2L). Engine mounts are not a problem. Like I said, my friend can make me motor mounts in his CAD/CNC machine. As far as the fitment.. I think that it will fit. Right now it has an automatic transmission on it, but i am assuming it would be a cable transmission if it was manual, which you can get a hydro-cable convesion kit. My DX doesnt have powersteering. I'm not sure on the vacuum and fuel lines .. I will check out the locations on all of the lines post it up tomorrow. The hardest part i think would be getting the CV-joints to line up with the hub. As far as wiring.. I think i have wiring down... I've completely re-wired my honda harness before, and everything worked !! . :lol:.. All i would really have to do is get a harness diagram for the camry engine and one for the honda engine, and splice and dice.. If i do swap, I am going to shave the engine bay, so it looks super clean. But I'll definately keep you posted.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wiring.....im sure the wiring is real different

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wiring would be more than a nightmare. think starting from scratch and building a wiring harness. then the problem of getting your gauges to work, emissions equipment, etc. not to mention the size, weight, auto/manual problems. theres just no point. if it was a really, really nice motor, i could imagnine it being worth it- dsm/evo motors have been swapped into civics, etc. but a camry motor??? COMPLETE waste of time and money.

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Reason why .. To see If I can do it .. I like to test myself in automotives. And plus, my engine has blown rings and over 300,000 miles on it. I am a student, and have no money, so the less I have to buy the better, and its just sitting there collecting dust, so i was thinking, Meh? What the heck? it could be interesting...

richocet1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mister_Perkins said:
Reason why .. To see If I can do it .. I like to test myself in automotives. And plus, my engine has blown rings and over 300,000 miles on it. I am a student, and have no money, so the less I have to buy the better, and its just sitting there collecting dust, so i was thinking, Meh? What the heck? it could be interesting...
:slap: Sell it and drop in a z6 or a y8.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you do plan to do it and want less of a headache in wireing, check out the megasquirt 2

its a standalone that is easy to wire. www.megasquirt.info

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm pretty sure the upgrades on your Toyota motor are limited compared to any Civic motor. A SOHC replacement costs chump change. Don't waste your time.