CTR Cams in a B16a2

B bOy CrAyOn

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was wondering on a lil somthing i heard... if u have a b16 and u want to upgrade cams with CTR cams i heard that u only upgrade the intake cam.....and u leave ur stock SI exhaust cam......why is this?

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im not sure. I would like answer too........Although I have never heard that.

booze_b

At work CC user
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd assume that if that is true it's because there is no difference in the exhuast cam

B bOy CrAyOn

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats what i figured also but i just thought all this time if they have bigger intake cams they would also need bigger exhaust cams to keep it going evenly and correctly and flowing good... so thats why i was wondering whats the deal with this

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
because the specs of the exhaust cam is not much difference so spending the extra 200 is a waste of money. the big gains are from the intake cam. i suggest going aftermarket cams.. i think upgrading to another oem is just a waste.

B bOy CrAyOn

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wouldnt u have to replace ur valves and springs also with aftermarekt tho if ur gonna go wit some skunk 2 cams or somthing?

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
theres couple of companies with stage 1 type cams that you still can use your stock valvetrain. for ex. buddyclub spec III +, skunk2 stage1, blox type a, jun stage1, toda spec a, there might be more but thats all i can think of. all these cams will make atleast 10whp-20whp over the ctr cams depending on setup.

B bOy CrAyOn

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so all those cams lets say stage 1 in a b16 would produce about 20 hp more then CTR cams?....holy s**t i see what u meant with dont waste ur time on OEM...thats actually a lot of hp from just some cams...im guessing this is with having all ur bolt ons and gettin it tuned am i correct or incorrect?

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the 20 i seen were on like 3 b20.. usually i seen about 10whp over the ctr on a b16 with just some bolt ons

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anekin007 said:
theres couple of companies with stage 1 type cams that you still can use your stock valvetrain. for ex. buddyclub spec III +, skunk2 stage1, blox type a, jun stage1, toda spec a, there might be more but thats all i can think of. all these cams will make atleast 10whp-20whp over the ctr cams depending on setup.
:werd:

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Integra Type R 11.5 mm, duration - 240 @ 1mm 10.5 mm, duration - 235 @ 1mm
Civic Type R 11.5mm, duration - 243 @ 1mm 10.5 mm, duration - 235 @ 1mm
Skunk 2 stage1 11.58 mm, duration 252 @ 1mm 10.9 mm, duration 249 @ 1mm

Rocket Motorsports M22 12.1 284 12.1 284 (just for fun, these are going in the hatch soon)

i cant find b16 cam specs off the top, i think the exhaust is diff though from teh b16
i t might not be i think the gsr is the same though
but ctr cams arent that costly ill be selling my pair for like 250 as long as the cond is good when i pull them

the skunk stage 1 really isnt worth the extra money when in a gsr itrs vs skunk2s the skunks lost a tad of peak tq and the skunk2s added like 5whp peak and lost that 5ftlbs
with tunning and some more work yes a better cam, but much more costly
if you want a mediocre set up id go stage 1 but some honda cams for the price are a decent upgrade without having to really touch the head

mr_ducksauce

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
look into blox cams...those are also pretty good, rocket motorsports, buddly clubs....those are the popular cams right now