Custom FBP Headlight Housings

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm going to be doing my headlights this weekend for my new 00 Si. This time though, I special order some matched FBP according to my vin/paint code from painscratch to paint them w/. I dont have any special thing for the dark grey on the jdm lights and have started to like how some cars lately, i.e. Z06, have been coming out w/ paint matched surrounds in their headlights. From what I have seen and can guess, I've prolly never seen or remember seeing a set of blacked out headlights painted to match like I'm doing. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Like it? Dislike it? I'll post some pics after I get done so that everyone can see how it looks.

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not too sure how i feel about it yet..i guess ill just have to see the finished product!! g/l with it

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea. the fits have em too. it looks good that that car i think. i definately havent seen it on a civic. try it out. post pics and lets see wat happens. im so lame. im painting mine gunmetal today. haa. ill post pics too.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm going to be doing my headlights this weekend for my new 00 Si. This time though, I special order some matched FBP according to my vin/paint code from painscratch to paint them w/. I dont have any special thing for the dark grey on the jdm lights and have started to like how some cars lately, i.e. Z06, have been coming out w/ paint matched surrounds in their headlights. From what I have seen and can guess, I've prolly never seen or remember seeing a set of blacked out headlights painted to match like I'm doing. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Like it? Dislike it? I'll post some pics after I get done so that everyone can see how it looks.
its been done before.

Honda even already beat you to it from the factory.

People in the aftermarket world have done it with their civics as well.

You own a civic, not a 1966 ThunderBird or something of the like.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So, you're going to paint your headlights black...is what your saying...right..?

been done for years bro..! DIY "type r" headlight...its not gonna look much different since you already have a black car. If your car was a different color, then yeah.

Here is what they look like colormatched on a CGP hatch:

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^ Yea I get what you mean. I'm sure its been done before somewhere considering that there are tons of people w/ civics out there. The point is that I haven't seen anyone specifically w/ matching fbp that i know of.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The only thing though man is that...who is really going to check the paint on your headlight housings....for all they know it is just another set of rattle canned headlights.

All i'm saying is: I'm not sure if its worth it to get it matched to FBP since its black and the only way you'd be able to tell is when the sun/light hits it.

If it was any other color, I'd say go for it. black is just, black.

Jimmy2times

White, middle-class
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there was this one dude. i think he's on hater-tech, with a dark blue 6th gen si. his housings seem to be color matched with a black fade. i can't tell what i think about em.

he got featured in the july (?) issue of honda tuner. idk. i think it might help in the continuity department. it'll also look nice if clear-coated and made to look clean, not just flat.

just my .02.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Theres a retard around here w/a two toned 99-00 coupe (neon green and black). He has the eBay projectors, and has them painted the neon green to match the upper part of the car. Looks like ass-s**t to me. :barf:

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^ Good call on that one. I'm thinking that black or ctr is actually the only colors that would work. Civic headlights kinda dont seem like they would look good in other colors.

To genuine, I def. think that most people wouldn't necessarily notice it. I have been meaning to get a spare can of matched paint though to paint my intake duct for a little while now. Hoping I'll have enough for both.

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i understand what your saying man..the FBP paint for the headlight housing would prolly look more shinnier and glossy compared to most poeple that do the DIY black housing which usually tends to be some what flat black and a lil dull (not that that looks bad, just pointing it out)

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In another color, like above it might look good, but black would just look black IMO like the rest of the DIY headlights. I dont really see FBP standing out on a FBP car.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea, as I said the FBP wont really stand out, but being that I already have it for something else and that I figure it would be interesting to have an exact match even if 99% of people dont notice it. I figure its still worth the little extra cash. I am a little dissappointed that I dont have enough cash atm to spend on doing a hid retrofit while i do this. Hopefully sometime in the next couple of months after I do this though, I'll open them back up and do the retrofit w/ a bi-xenon hid say from an fx 35.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
at $25/can from paintscratch.com i don't know. Not worth it to me, i'm just too cheap/poor. I thought about doing the color match with my silver civic but like i said i'm just too cheap and i'm going to go with a silver/black theme. I do like headlights color mathched like that green civic above and the new Fits.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A friend of mine who had a milano red coupe, painted his to match and it looked good from what we could tell. I just wish that the lens wasn't as foggy/yellow.

I was thinking of color matching mine but....didn't think it'd look too swell.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i think it would look good if it was EBP on an EBP civic, or MR on an MR civic, but on FBP it just looks like rattle can black

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, so I just now have gotten done w/ the headlights. Well, by that I mean theyre done w/ paint and clear coat. I just have to get the lens of the headlight wed sanded and cleaned up so that its all good and ready to just be put back together and then installed on the car. Had plenty of time considering I'm home for a week over the break and also had my wisdom teeth taken out yesterday. I will say, I have spent a considerable amount of time on these things, but they are pretty damn good looking. I know most people wont notice this difference, but man as I'm looking at it right now, the metallic paint looks absolutely awesome. I ended up sanding most of the chrome stuff off and then did a primer/adhesion promoter and then had to go back and sand it again since I used to rough of a grit and it started to show badly. I painted it w/ a very light coat and then sanded again, but still had a few scratches left in it. Light coat again and then had to wet sand w/ 1000 grit so that all the scratches were out. Once I did this, I went over it again and did a very generous coat and then finally went over it w/ a clear coat. The clear coat prolly isnt very thick considering that its a little to humid out and couldnt apply too much cuz it started to look kinda grey. Apparently, doesnt apply well if its to humid (never done clear so you learn something new everyday. I just took some pics, but my Apple skills are horride so I'll get some prolly tomorrow or the next day.

Side note: I seem to be having a problem wetsanding the lenses. It looks on both lenses like there is a cloud almost where the headlight has little to no distortion and is completely clear. Its not the same size or shape on either headlight. In the areas outside of the "cloud" its not as clear and as hard as I've tried to wet sand it down w/ 1000 grit, it doesnt seem to ever come out as clear as the "cloud" part. I had this same problem on my old headlights and dunno exactly what its from. Anyone know what this might be and how I could fix it?

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i bought a kit for my headlights to remove the fog in em or haze, but they ended up scratching the lense which really pissed me off. It just gave me an excuse to buy new headlights so that solved the problem. As far as I know I have yet to actual see a product that is well known and actually does the job as far as removing the haze in your lenses.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, most of the time, using 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sanding w/ it should get everything out. Then all you have to do is go over it w/ a polish or wax. I seem to have gotten the "cloud" i referred to out of one of the headlights. It had very little though. The other one is much more and basically is a "cloud" that splits the top and bottom of the headlight. Therefore the top and bottom is basically a little more cloudy than the middle which is basically clear. I scrubbed hard as hell and it got better, but damn considering how much i sanded w/ 2000 grit it still isnt as good as I hoped. I'm gonna try some more tomorrow and then put em together.

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont think color matching the housing looks good at all except for fbp with amber turn reflectors.