custom sub box

bofthe951

hey guys. So I'm starting to plan my new sub box for my trunk in my 1999 civic lx. And what I've got planned so far is to build it out of mdf and make it to the angles in my trunk. It's gunna house my two kicker subs while it sits up at a slight angle with a cut in box with a plexiglass cover in between the subs that will house my sony xplod amp that glows red. In the front I would like to put two round ports so it can breath. The only picture I can find close to is this one

My only problem is I don't just want some wood sub box, I would love to wrap in matching carpet material so it matches the trunk interior which is a gray color. For anyone who has done this before do you know where I can get that???? And I'm open to other ideas for designs. thanks guys

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can get charcoal trunk liner anywhere...Best Buy, local audio shop, Crutchfield.com, eBay, PartsExpress.com...just to name a few.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I used to buy it by the small rolls at Pepboys. When I did my door panels and had to go to the local upholstery supply shop to get material, I found that they have the same type of material used for speaker boxes. It is basically just a thin trunk carpet type of stuff.

You can use anything you want. In the past I have seen guys use vinyl, tweed, and even fake leather to match their interiors. Only reason they didn't use real leather is because the cost of the material is way too high.

I just want to throw it out there that the box you are designing is going to weigh a ton. That is a big box and the more elaborate you get with the angles and shapes, by using mdf you have more material thus adding weight. Just something to keep in mind.

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do you know how to design and build a ported box?

You don't just slap a port on there...

Manderson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for a while there back in the day i was getting the upholstry carpet from lowes in the carpet section (although its not really carpet). You can buy it by the square foot and its a very wide roll so less seams. I havent done a box in a long time tho. I dunno if they even still sell it but its worth a try. It was nice, thin, easy to work with, and cheap. I agree if you have never done a ported box do a lot of research. the internal dimensions, port size, and length need to be exact or its gonna sound bad. pix's when its done??

93civicc

if you are wanting loud and take up the same amount of space if not more make an spl box its what im running in mine building a new one next week, go to kicker.com since your running kickers if you need help let me know

Last edited:

bofthe951

if you are wanting loud and take up the same amount of space if not more make an spl box its what im running in mine building a new one next week, go to kicker.com since your running kickers if you need help let me know
whats the difference of an SPL sub box and just a regular sub box?

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if i remember right... kickers usually take pretty large enclosures, too (it's been a while, i could be wrong)... doing a ported box will make it much bigger.

... and you can't just say, hey, i wanna slap some ports on there. they're there for a reason and it's part of the design of the box. the utilitarian design, i mean, not aesthetics.

i hope you're ready to get rid of your trunk. :lol: