Cut Bumpstop or Not?

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Guys, i will be installing eibach pro springs on my ride this weekend. I have heard of some people who dont cut oem bumpstocks and they ride smoother....what do you all think....my buddy was riding on stechs for a while with stock shocks and he didnt cut the bumpstops....what problems can i run into if i dont cut em or can i leave them the way they are....

MasterShake

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think bottoming out

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the bumpers are needed to be cut because they allow more travel for the shock. if they are not cut.. u have a higher chance of the shocks bottoming out.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
anekin007 said:
the bumpers are needed to be cut because they allow more travel for the shock. if they are not cut.. u have a higher chance of the shocks bottoming out.
TippinOver said:
when i installed my omni coilovers, the instructions said to cut the factory bumpstops in half, which i did.

now, even fully lifted on my coils, if i go over a bump or manhole, a loud BANG happens...just from my fronts..
:what:

JDM_SiR2

5+ Year Member
I installed some Tokico Springs on my OEM struts/shocks and I only cut about 1/2 to 3/4in of the bumpstop and it rides perfectly fine no problem whats so ever....I have about 1.5 to 1.75in drop

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I actually do not understand this either. When I installed some H&R sports they recommended not to cut the bumpstops. Neither did my Tein SS. Just slipped them right back on, needless to say they are not tremendous drops however.

Just follow the directions that come with the springs, to see if they recommend it or not. Here's an article about the bumpstop from H&R, might help you a lil in understanding it.

http://www.hrsprings.com/site/technical/bumpstop.html