cut springs?

bassyguitar

hello.
95 civic lx here.

planning on lowering my car eventually the right way, but for the time being i cant stand how tall my ride is..

i have a friend who knows how to cut springs, and i dont know if thats the best route after some of the stuff ive heard.

also ive seen springs, like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-HONDA-CIVIC-92-95-96-00-EG6-EK9-COILOVER-LOWER-LOWERING-SPRING-DROP-2-5-INCH-/330667616125?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cfd53677d#ht_1614wt_698
^they claim to drop the car 2.5" which is awesome. the lower i can go the better !

what do you guys think i should do? any other routes besides coilovers for now.. im very cheap and poor lol im almost considering cutting due to the fact that i want to know what a "s***ty ride" feels like lmao.

thanks..

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you are very cheap and poor, then you have no business modding a car, or doing this as a hobby.

do the earth a favor and dont cut your springs, we dont need another retard with bootleg suspension that will fail and kill someone.

bassyguitar

fine no cut springs..

but do any of you know of some springs that can get me low as piss

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
no, save your money and buy some legit coilovers. stop trying to rush it

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
Lowering springs alone will blow out your stock shocks. So even if you do get lowering springs, once your shocks are blown it will suck really bad. Look into lowering kits for a temporary fix. They might come with shocks and springs, for pretty cheap. Then upgrade later.

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
also agree again with him.
It sucks, but im still waiting too. I only wanna get good stuff once. Koni yellows and Ground Control coilovers.
This hobby takes time.

bassyguitar

i hear ya guys...

well whats a good coilover set up for a beginner, i dont even understand how u can "adjust" them, like it doesnt seem as simple as ppl say, then again i dont know...

thanks for the help

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if u just wanna slam urself to the ground then get some Function and Form Type 1s their only like $550 at most places

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sweet ill look these up right now.. thanks

but how do you adjust them ?

Its hard to see but the springs are sitting on two locking plates that sit on a spindle. Loosen the plates and spin them farther down the tube and relock lock them (basically by tightening them into each other). This will make the spring sit lower, thus lowering your car.

Once you actually have them in your hand, you'll see exactly what we're talking about.

bassyguitar

Its hard to see but the springs are sitting on two locking plates that sit on a spindle. Loosen the plates and spin them farther down the tube and relock lock them (basically by tightening them into each other). This will make the spring sit lower, thus lowering your car.

Once you actually have them in your hand, you'll see exactly what we're talking about.
well speaking of the pro s 2's, i thought u adjust with the inner bolt assembly, as in you keep the spring load as is, and u adjust the neck..?

also my friend said u can lower and raise but the engine bay where the struts come out of with an alan key wrench ????
so confused lmao...

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:word::like:

This is why Hondas' have the reputation they do, ppl can't wait to mod them, rush, and completey cheap out on parts, ending up with a flat black, scraping the ground, cobbed up hack job.

Measure twice, cut once...

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:word::like:

This is why Hondas' have the reputation they do, ppl can't wait to mod them, rush, and completey cheap out on parts, ending up with a flat black, scraping the ground, cobbed up hack job.

Measure twice, cut once...
Wait wait wait, whats wrong with scraping the ground?

bassyguitar

Wait wait wait, whats wrong with scraping the ground?
lmao exactly..
what ever man, i am rushing it, my bad and ill just look moar into as time flies, i do plan on getting legit coilovers most likely the pro s 2 actually... but thanks everyone..

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thats exactly the thing. Everyone PLANS on getting good suspension, a swap, turbo, authentic parts, yada, yada, yada. But few actually get the good stuff. That's part of the reason Hondas have the bad reputation. Sometimes these shortcuts could be hazardous to others, not just yourself.

Don't make the expensive mistake of going cheap.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hello.
95 civic lx here.

planning on lowering my car eventually the right way, but for the time being i cant stand how tall my ride is..

i have a friend who knows how to cut springs, and i dont know if thats the best route after some of the stuff ive heard.

also ive seen springs, like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-HONDA-CIVIC-92-95-96-00-EG6-EK9-COILOVER-LOWER-LOWERING-SPRING-DROP-2-5-INCH-/330667616125?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cfd53677d#ht_1614wt_698
^they claim to drop the car 2.5" which is awesome. the lower i can go the better !

what do you guys think i should do? any other routes besides coilovers for now.. im very cheap and poor lol im almost considering cutting due to the fact that i want to know what a "s***ty ride" feels like lmao.

thanks..
Cutting springs is a bad idea, just don't do it.

Stay away from those cheap no name suspension products on eBay. They are just plain unsafe and you won't be happy with them.

fine no cut springs..

but do any of you know of some springs that can get me low as piss
Do some research. Here's a start: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=206087

well speaking of the pro s 2's, i thought u adjust with the inner bolt assembly, as in you keep the spring load as is, and u adjust the neck..?

also my friend said u can lower and raise but the engine bay where the struts come out of with an alan key wrench ????
so confused lmao...
Yeah the Skunk2 ProS can adjust height without affecting preload. It essentially allows you to lower the car a bit without loosing shock travel.

Adjusting the ride height is always done under the car, on the shock body(for our cars atleast). You can adjust the rebound from under the hood/trunk(that's IF you have adjustable shocks).

also.. what is the differ between full coilovers and these sleeves ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKUNK2-Civic-CRX-Integra-Del-Sol-Drag-Coilovers-Springs-/370328767384?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1995|Model:Civic&vxp=mtr&hash=item5639508b98#ht_2899wt_932

are these sopposed 2 fit on my stock struts? what am i sopposed to do with these ?! lol..
The only difference really is that "full" coilovers have a threaded shock body and is basically one piece. Where as the sleeves slide over a shock body. As far as performance goes, to the average joe there's really no important difference. The sleeves work perfectly fine(as long as you get good ones). To the person looking to go really low, the full bodied coilovers would probably be a better pick since they are likely to have a lower/shorter shock body.

Not all aftermarket sleeves will work with stock shocks. Some, like Ground Controls, need to be order specifically for the type of shock you are using. This is because the outer dimeter of the shock body for stock and say Koni, KYB, Bilstein, etc may all be different. So GC will be able to sell the right sleeve for your application. This is another reason why these are better than what's on eBay.. Who knows if the eBay ones will actually fit..

bassyguitar

Cutting springs is a bad idea, just don't do it.

Stay away from those cheap no name suspension products on eBay. They are just plain unsafe and you won't be happy with them.

Do some research. Here's a start: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=206087

Yeah the Skunk2 ProS can adjust height without affecting preload. It essentially allows you to lower the car a bit without loosing shock travel.

Adjusting the ride height is always done under the car, on the shock body(for our cars atleast). You can adjust the rebound from under the hood/trunk(that's IF you have adjustable shocks).

The only difference really is that "full" coilovers have a threaded shock body and is basically one piece. Where as the sleeves slide over a shock body. As far as performance goes, to the average joe there's really no important difference. The sleeves work perfectly fine(as long as you get good ones). To the person looking to go really low, the full bodied coilovers would probably be a better pick since they are likely to have a lower/shorter shock body.

Not all aftermarket sleeves will work with stock shocks. Some, like Ground Controls, need to be order specifically for the type of shock you are using. This is because the outer dimeter of the shock body for stock and say Koni, KYB, Bilstein, etc may all be different. So GC will be able to sell the right sleeve for your application. This is another reason why these are better than what's on eBay.. Who knows if the eBay ones will actually fit..
gotcha gotcha, appreciate the info..

ya im just gonna go 2 a shop or something, and they can show me what they recommend and whats easy or best for daily driving. thanks a lot