CVCC O.G.

Syco cvcc

Howdy Y'all . I'm the F.N.G at Clubcivic . Thought I would introduce myself . All though my age is little ( 52 ) my knowledge and wisdom of automobiles is great . My first car was a 63 Ford Galaxy , I got it two months before my 13th. But my actual first car was a 72 CVCC ( the old guy I got it from told me it was a CIVIC ). I never considered it a car, it was my go cart. After all it was made by Honda the motorcycle company . The shifter was just under the wind shield. All the controls were for hands , yes even the gas . ( I have seen two other 72 's that had foot controls). Any who's Honda didn't start actually manufacturing a CiViCC until 83 . They spelled it on the name plate CiViCC because illiterate americans kept putting "I"'s in it from the start .I dated a girl in highschool who's father was a foreign car dealer. He sold 5 different brands , All the brands that were not big enough to be sold on there own ,peugeot ,opel,renault,honda,m.g. . So my girlfriend had a 78 "civic . Her dad was a arrogant know it all . I asked him one day why he kept calling Honda's civic's . His response was " Wow you fooled me ,you don't look dumb" . Then the importer of Honda's speach , blah blah yakity smakity. My response was I will bet you a hundred bucks . Easy roller ever .

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
But my actual first car was a 72 CVCC ( the old guy I got it from told me it was a CIVIC ).They spelled it on the name plate CiViCC because illiterate americans kept putting "I"'s in it from the start.
That's not true, CVCC is an acronym, Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion, used by Honda for the system it used for those cars.
It's always been a Civic and badged as such. CVCC was not the name of the car.
CVCC system was discontinued (around '83-ish) when emissions standards changed to more stringent specs, and even the CVCC system cars needed a catalytic converter.

The shifter was just under the wind shield. All the controls were for hands , yes even the gas . ( I have seen two other 72 's that had foot controls).
That's odd, every 1st gen Civic I've seen has had those controls in the standard spots?

Last edited:

Syco cvcc

Sir I beg to differ ,there never was any "I"'s in any of the nameplates before 83. Even the pink slip model stated it was a CVCC. Not to argue what it stood for . If it was a CIVIC ,then why in 83 did they just start putting the I in as lower case letters .Seems odd , like Nissan when it was Datsun. The last year. it said Datsun across the tailgate with Nissan in the lower right corner . The following year it said Nissan with Datsun in the lower corner.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it was a CIVIC ,then why in 83 did they just start putting the I in as lower case letters.
They didn't start that in '83...

Seems odd ,like Nissan when it was Datsun. The last year. it said Datsun across the tailgate with Nissan in the lower right corner . The following year it said Nissan with Datsun in the lower corner.

You're trying to compare the model name of a car with the history of Datsun/Nissan? That isn't even relevant.
Know your history...

Sir I beg to differ, there never was any "I"'s in any of the nameplates before 83. Even the pink slip model stated it was a CVCC.
Really, there wasn't?

This US spec '77 model is clearly badged "Civic".
The 5 door is a UK Spec '72 Civic.
Red is another '77 model, US spec Civic, clearly badged as such.
Here is an ad from 1978 where HONDA refers to it as the "Civic".
It's always been "Civic", with them advertising "CVCC" as equipped until they ceased this technology in '83.

Attachments

Last edited: