d15 to d16 vtec

foxrider101

BADASSHATCH
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have been looking at the specs of the sohc d16z6 head and my d15 head and the bolt on the same to my bottom end ... is it possible to do a mine me swap like that on my d15 cx hatch... providing I buy a vtec controler and fuel mang. system...... I believe the bottom ends are the same.... give me some help ppl... no one has posted about it so I need sumn help... if not how hard is a zc swap ... I can pic one up for 700. at www.sevenstarjdmmotors.com.... wut do you guys think...

chinaboy

bad ass yellow boy
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
first off either go all the way with a swap or not at all (engine, tranny, ecu, etc) your d16 head will fit the d15 tranny but a couple of runs your tranny will give out. buy the time you add up the vtec and fuel management you could have gone with the full d16zc swap. i went for the zc swap along time ago. if you dont have the money for a dual overhead leave the thing alone. believe when i say this the dual overhead is worth every penny and hour waited.

Grand141

Juicy
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well its all on you ..... i have a mini me right now on a 4th gen hatch it hauls ass but hey with $$ anything can haul ass ... i got everything for about $500 but if you can get a zc dohc for $700 i suggest get that but if it is the Sigle i think its the same for the exception of a few Hp

Grand141

Juicy
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by chinaboy
first off either go all the way with a swap or not at all (engine, tranny, ecu, etc) your d16 head will fit the d15 tranny but a couple of runs your tranny will give out. buy the time you add up the vtec and fuel management you could have gone with the full d16zc swap. i went for the zc swap along time ago. if you dont have the money for a dual overhead leave the thing alone. believe when i say this the dual overhead is worth every penny and hour waited.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN :wstupid:

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by chinaboy
what the f**k did you just mutter? D16 head with a D15 tranny? they are all the same except for the ratios....considering there is only 70 hp coming from that motor to begin with... its not gonna harm the tranny.

you dont need a fuel management system or a VTEC controller.... just a P28 ECU, D16Z6 timing belt and there are a few other small things... i do believe that you have to open up an orfice tube on top of the block to let oil up to the VTEC oil pressure sensor....

www.d-series.org

Grand141

Juicy
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this what i did to get my vtec up an running i got the RPM box and added some wireing and added a light and also bought the RPM Pills and now i have vtec hitting at 5200 this is what you call the ghetto lazy broke style:x :woot:

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
or just get the ECU that you need for everything to properly work.. for like 100 bucks you can do it right...

foxrider101

BADASSHATCH
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so I can run my bottom end of my d15 and tranny with a d16z6 vtec head... seeing how the bottom ends seem to be the same in all the d series.... anyone know how much a full d16z6 swap would cost to drop in my cx hatch... post please need so info...

Post Up~!*

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just look for a whole wrecked EX... you need the ECU, the right motor mount, and i think thats it... just get a whole car if you can, i got a whole car for 400 bucks

sharkcivic94

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mini-Me

The D16Z6 Head (92-95 EX/Si) and D16Y8 Head (96-00) Will bolt right onto any D-Series Bottom with the exception of the ZC DOHC. The Y8 Head has a boxed combustion chamber to give you higher CR(compression Ratio) versus the Z6, but both will give you the VTEC. You will need to remove the Oil Jet on top of your D15 Block (located in the upper middle) as the VTEC head already has one. Otherwise you will have too high Oil pressure. This is a common mistake. Your VTEC will not acuate correctly. If you want to do it all correctly, you will have to get the complete head (Valvetrain,Vtec solenoid, distributor(some exceptions), valve cover, wiring harness, Intake Manifold(Y8 is the best) with throttle body(not neccessary as the are all 56mm)). You will also need new head bolts as it is not safe to use the Honda "stretch bolts". People usually take the routte of getting ARP bolts. You will also need the head gasket for the respective head (Z6 or Y8) as well as the timing belt. Your current belt has too many teeth, 4 more teeth to be exact. The ECU is not a must, but again, to do it right, you should get one. Preferrably the OBD1 P28 ECU as it is better for mods. I forget what year you said your car was, but anything for Hondas 88-91 was OBD0, 92-95 was OBD1, and 96-00 was OBD2. Get the respective ECU accordingly. For ease of install, get the one that will fit your ECU harness other than pre-VTEC cars (88-91), i.e. if you have a 92-95 get the P28, if you have a 96-00 get the P2P. If you have a 88-91, you will have to change out your harnesses to suite the ECU. Of course you can ghetto rig and get a RPM switch or better yet a VTEC controller and piggyback to your current ECU, but in the end, it is best to get the right ECU. For a complete head swap with wiring, ECU and Head, you are looking at paying $400-$500 and a few hours in the garage. Email me if you need help.

foxrider101

BADASSHATCH
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks

Thanks ppl for all the post s--- I am wanting a sleeper look with the sohc .... and boost the f**k out of it --- turbo the works... wanting to be different I saw a h22 get it ass kicked by a d16z6 about a mouth ago ...... knowing the d16 was a killer ass machiane... and the h22 was close to stock does not mean that a d series motor can not run..... and i am not looking to be the fastest guy in all of ohio I am looking for a good balance of power and style.... When i do that and go to sumn local shows....then I will move on to my next project -B18c5- -Type R- I am still in high school so I can only drop about 500 a mouth in the car and still be able to do other things instead of beat off to my car lol ----

I am going to do the head swap and have it ported and polished- venom intake mani. aem intake till turbo - aem cam gear- dc head n1 exhaust.... and so on .... that way the car is different and I can say my d16z6 was build by me.... from to different motors ---- and then dip on the guy that talks s**t unless you got a big lil motor lol --- - thankxxx again... I will post pics when I am done with it...

Thankxxx to sharkcivic94 for all the great info...

foxrider101

BADASSHATCH
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
o0o0o0o0o sharkcivic94 wuts the down low of your website I wanna join the sport compact part ---- wut do i need.....

sharkcivic94

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wut up? I am restructuring my company and car clubs. My business partner has flaked out on me and I now have to fly solo. This also means I have to work out all the legal crap and buy him out. So, as of now, the company and clubs are obsolete until I get everything situated. I have bigger plans for the future as I will not be restricted by any partner. Let me know if you would like to run a "club" chapter in Ohio for me. I would like a chapter in each state with my company's name. We can discuss what will be involved and if we can work together.