d15b?

mercfwd

5+ Year Member
I bought a parts car for a few hundred, mainly for the two motors stock and a vtec sohc swap, while ripping it apart, a civic freak (sorry just now getting into them) came over started asking questions he was cool and all but looked at the block and went crazy about the engine said it was a d15b japan spec? I have no ideal what he's talking about, is this something special? Thanks.

Repete

5+ Year Member
mercfwd said:
I bought a parts car for a few hundred, mainly for the two motors stock and a vtec sohc swap, while ripping it apart, a civic freak (sorry just now getting into them) came over started asking questions he was cool and all but looked at the block and went crazy about the engine said it was a d15b japan spec? I have no ideal what he's talking about, is this something special? Thanks.
Well, for one, it means the motor is not the original motor. The D15b is the base long block used in Japan automobiles. It has (or at least should have) a plugged hole where the external fuel pump mounted to the head, behind the distributor. These blocks were also normally carborated instead of EFI.

Since this is the same basic block used on 88-91 civics, which is a D15b1 or D15b2, it is commonly used as a replacement.

Cheers! =)

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all the non vtec heads have that hole. is that D15b vtec, should be

mercfwd

5+ Year Member
Ok sorry I left a few important details out. I'm pulling it from a 93, and yes it was swapped already but owner had no clue about what he had.. made me kinda wonder but the car ran great! he trashed the side missing a deer. I bought it cuase one it had the stock 1.5 in the back seat, and 2 for the v-tec 1.5, but I paid no attention to the japanese writing on the timing belt cover, figured all hondas had that, then this guy came over telling me to take the head and put it on the stock one yatta yatta, looked at my block an got all excited, said it was the japan spec one and came stock with agresive cam and all. I don't believe the owner ever installed a vtec ecu though cuase he had less knowledge then I did. I can't check it right now it's in a locked garage. I'll check tomrrow the actual block code. I was aslo asking if it willbolt into a 91 or 93 which would give more results with less effort ie frame modding.