D16Y7 - Any good?

replicator

I'm thinking of getting another civic for my girlfriend. This one has a non-vtec D16Y7. It's '00 LX trim. It only has 49,000 miles, is automatic, and does not have any apparent mechanical defects. Owner is selling it for 3.5k, which is a steal in my book.

Thoughts?

Decipher

Registered VIP
With that little milage, it would appear to be a good deal. Most on this site are not fans of automatic transmissions, I personally could go with either. I'm guessing its owner is an elderly person? That many miles for a car almost 12 years old is hard to find.

Whether or not it's a "deal" to you depends on your plans and aspirations for the car. Is it going to just be a daily driver? Something you're trying to put on the track? How's the body? Rust, frame damage from accidents? From your description so far, it sounds like a pretty good find. Might talk them down a few hundred.

L3IX

i got my civic dx with a 169xxx (d16y7) it ran great.. but i did burn oil. at the end of that single cams life i was putting a quart of oil in every three days (196xxx) but other than that it was a very strong motor!

replicator

With that little milage, it would appear to be a good deal. Most on this site are not fans of automatic transmissions, I personally could go with either. I'm guessing its owner is an elderly person? That many miles for a car almost 12 years old is hard to find.

Whether or not it's a "deal" to you depends on your plans and aspirations for the car. Is it going to just be a daily driver? Something you're trying to put on the track? How's the body? Rust, frame damage from accidents? From your description so far, it sounds like a pretty good find. Might talk them down a few hundred.
Clean title, no accidents in carfax report, no rust anywhere. The only rust is on the exhaust manifold, which, being cast iron, will always get. Only 1 owner before this one. Good maintenance track. KBB puts it at 8k if bought from a dealer. My gf is going to be drag racing with it.

replicator

If shes really going to be drag racing i dont think shed want an auto y7
That was a joke...sorry xD

She's a new driver, but is very careful and intelligent about it. Would this car be something that's relatively maintenance free other than scheduled tune up and oil fills? Or is this model prone to falling apart?

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
from the description of the car and your girlfriend, that car would be probably the very best deal you'll ever find. as long as you maintain it, it'll be practicly bulletproof. Only thing I'd do if you buy is change the timing belt as soon as possible if it hasn't been done recently

chromal

5+ Year Member
I bought my 98 CX hatchback 5MT (D16Y7) in 2001 for $5000 with 92K, it's 2011, 220K, with the exception of a head gasket at 210K and a fuel filter recently, it's all factory stock. D16Y7 is a really solid engine if you keep up on basic maintenance and don't completely abuse it. No reason it couldn't give you 150K of trouble-free miles, barring corrosion and parts with a shelf-life like rubber seals and gaskets.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's a good car but for drag racing it would be awful

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
Other then regular tune ups it should be just about as maintenance free as it gets. I have 170,000 miles on my d16y7 and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. As long as it's been taken care of it'll be good.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You're really planning on buying a DX with 49,000 miles to drag race with it?

That would be one of the biggest wastes of money, that engine will get over 30mpg but if you're just going to buy this car to destroy that engine's efficiency by racing it you might as well go buy your girlfriend some sort of a swapped civic or an integra for the same price.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
I think we established it was a joke

do regualr maintenance it will run a very long time

270k on my z6 down to one tiny oil leak Im trying to track down but does not burn anything and I get 34mpg cruising at 80 with the windows down. D series have the point A to point B job on lock yo

Cobl18

Registered VIP
i have a d series engine and i really love it, reliable, cheap and easy to fix. Wouldn't trade it for anything =)

epic_civic

I have my 98 cx 5spd and it is still completely stock, the d16y7 motor will last a while if your girlfriend takes care of it.

emerican

Registered VIP
I love my d series man i got hte y8 and untill it just compltly shits out i aint getting rid of it at all