D16Y7 Oil Question

SnoFox4

Most Boring Car
Does anybody use full synthetic oil in their D16?

My valvetrain is awfully noisy. I've used Royal Purple 5w30 for the last two oil changes (with Bosch filters).

Thinking about switching back to conventional next oil change.

devilzek84

5+ Year Member
i got a d16y8 ...when i dropped my oil pan to replace the gasket i cleaned all the oil out n n put in castrol synthetic oil... did the royal purple but it seemed to break down faster and made a little bit of noise as well...i drained it and now im currently using Castrol Edge full synthetic. and my engine is running smoother than ever. im using it with a K&N filter.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i used mobil 1 for a long time and amsoil for a long time, never had issues

kidivory

I have used synthetic but honestly for the price you will pay for each oil change it wasn't worth it for me, I didn't notice a difference in smoothness or power or any of that crap, just price. I have always been a fan of Kendall Motor oil, it is a non synthetic oil that protects and last. and is about $2 dollars cheaper than royal purple. Basically just stay away from cheap non synthetic oil, like pens-oil or mobile 1 or any gas station name brand stuff. Also I always use 10w40 in my hondas unless its winter time then maybe 10/30

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol @ people thinking they're going to see huge power gains with synthetic oil

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you ever thought that those ticking noise can be from the injectors? Should go find a video of some injectors being put up for testing. They tick quite loudly.

SnoFox4

Most Boring Car
Have you ever thought that those ticking noise can be from the injectors? Should go find a video of some injectors being put up for testing. They tick quite loudly.
I'll do you one better, I'll put up a video of the noise my car makes.

emerican

Registered VIP
It isnt worth the bump in price for synthtic especially on old d series and other motors. I dont buy it just cause i dont want to spend the money for it Its not going to be any real difference and no power difference at all.

SnoFox4

Most Boring Car
Well, I got a really good deal on a case of this oil. I'm just worried it's not thick enough.. those are the loudest tappets I've ever heard.

I think what's about to happen is I'm going to get Mobile 1 EP and a K&N/Mobile filter to see if that changes anything.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn. Cant view the video from the work computer. Id have to come back and check it out once off work.

SnoFox4

Most Boring Car
Drained the oil, dropped in Mobile 1 10w40 EP and the noise is gone.

Hope I didn't damage anything.

ossyoos

My experience

This is a few years late, but could be helpful to those looking for recent info. Starting in Spring 2011 I began running my D16Y7 on Mobil-1 5w-30 high mileage synthetic oil, with either wix/pureone/m1 filters. I did this because I live in an area that sees temps in the 90s in the summer and lows well below zero for long stretches of time. I also delivered pizza in all of these conditions.
My car actually quit leaking oil after a couple changes in the 5-6k mile interval. I drove the heck out of it for 3 years before moving on to a different job. It was nice not to worry about oil leaks and engine problems during this time.