d16y8 97 ex s40 transmission question

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 97 ex and am getting a new tranny. I have heard some mixed up and unclear things about the tranny I need. I Still want the ex tranny. I believe that 96-00 tranny's are all s40, correct? Also am I right that the ex tranny is the b000 ? I am probally getting a tranny from a friend that just bought a replacement motor d16y8, did the y8 only come with the shorter geared tranny? I am just hearing some different things, and want to make sure I get the right one, so if anyone could confirm this if they know it for sure that would be great, thanks.

silvertuner98

Banned
as long as it is the s40 b000 u have the correct 96-00 civic ex 5 speed transmission. the s40 a000 is from the lx/dx etc

Nicathug

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can a 96-00 Civic EX 5 Speed Transmission fit a 1996 to 2000 Civic Lx?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
yes, it will fit perfectly nicathug. i have the b000 on my y7

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks guys, just what i needed to be comfirmed, and thanks for the quick reply

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anfrey I am assuming that you mean you have the b000 on your y7 as an uprgrade and that you initially had a a000?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
RKSskier said:
anfrey I am assuming that you mean you have the b000 on your y7 as an uprgrade and that you initially had a a000?
i drive an EJ8. i used to have a complete y8 setup stock. my exroommate f**ked up my engine so all i could get was a y7 (being poor sucks, everyone else would be doing a phat swap.. instead i go for an engine with 20hp less) but the only thing y7 in my car is the longblock. all my manifolds are from my y8... but anyway, my b000 y8 tranny bolted on no problem to the d16y7.

Nicathug

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anfrey said:
yes, it will fit perfectly nicathug. i have the b000 on my y7
O for reaal, dats good to know. So the S20 Honda Civic Ex/Si Transmission will fit on my 1998 Honda Civic LX D16y7 Engine?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Nicathug said:
O for reaal, dats good to know. So the S20 Honda Civic Ex/Si Transmission will fit on my 1998 Honda Civic LX D16y7 Engine?
the s20 from the 5gen ex/si should fit as well... most d-series parts will bolt up fine.

Nicathug

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
6 Gen EX/Si Transmission work on the Civic too, by the way what is the code for the 6 Gen?

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anfrey... Did you even really notice a difference then from the y8 block to the y7? I mean they have very similar power curves when looking at dyno graphs of them, and the torque is really close. So I imagine that in your case with the y8 manifolds, (do you have a y8 head on there?) and with the b000 tranny that you really didnt notice much of a difference?

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ohh and I am pretty sure, but if someone could also comfirm for me that all d16y8 engines came with the b000 transmission only, that would be great.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
all y8s from the factory should come with the b000

silvertuner98

Banned
96-00 civic transmission codes are all s40 (except b-series engines/trans), how to tell the difference in the gearing is the casting stamp.

92-95 civic transmission codes are all s20 with the same stamping

s20 b000 is from a 92-95 civic ex/si

i have a s20 b000 in my 98 ej8 right now..... so it does work.

i do believe 90-00 civic transmissions (other then hydro/cable) are interchangable, and as well 88-89 had an input shaft with a different # of splines.... ill research more if needed lol

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nicathug said:
6 Gen EX/Si Transmission work on the Civic too, by the way what is the code for the 6 Gen?

No, Si tranny wont fit, the 6th gen Civic had a B16A2, a 160hp DOHC engine, you have an D-series SOHC

silvertuner98

Banned
no problem anfrey =)

and as i stated a b-series transmission will not work on a d-series and neither will a d-series trans work on a b-series.

a FIFTH gen SI transmission is a d-series transmission bc the FIFTH gen civic si hatch came with a d16z6 so w000t.

AND NO THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A P28 FROM A EX AND A P28 FROM AN SI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silvertuner98

Banned
anfrey's engine got screwed by sumeone else, so he swapped in a y7 and im not sure if he put the y8 head on or not. but he is runnin the y8 manifolds.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i'm running all y8 manis, and i still need a y8 head. someone hook it up pls