D16Y8 N/A High Comp. Build

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I hope so too cause busses here in Miami are non-existent. I had to walk home last night for 2.5 hours.... I at least wish I could get my car back to at least part it out, pay it off and make a G or so but I highly doubt that will happen. Anyways, thanks for all the good wishes. If any of you have any questions in regards to a D16y8 and/or an EJ8, let me know. Peace!

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wooooo, DL fixed a while back... So many things have happened since then....

I never knew this but when I build the motor, that little sensor right above the oil filter was only hand-tightened..... months later the car starts leaking oil.... alot! like 5qts in 3 weeks. I didnt know what happened or why/where it was leaking from, all I knew is that it was leaking from the back of the block.

So I decide its the HG. So I replace my Cometic with a $23 eBay one. Bad choice. 3hours later and $23 spent Its done. s**t still leaks oil. I was pissed! So then I think its that little black box in the back of the block, raised the car, exhaust off, little black box off, new o-ring on it, teflon tape on it.... put it back on and the s**t leaked, alot! A week after I try to go at it again... Lift car, exhaust off, little black box off, new o-ring on it, teflon tape on it but this time, idky, I took off the oil filter. Boom! I see the sensor right above it kinda loose and with a bit of oil underneath it. That was it! Screwed that b***h in tight and no more oil leaks. GREAT!

A few weeks later, overheating starts. Idk wat it is... my boy looked at it and said it was a blown HG. Now it makes sense why I was seeing little black flakes in the coolant, its that black coating that comes on the MLS HGs. I'm kinda broke till this friday so I'll order another Cometic and NOT cheap out!

Other than that, the engine it street tuned, it's running ok. Idle is fine, power is ok, gas mileage increased from 33mpg(stock) to 35mpg(after built) it currently has a little under 7k on it and my goal (since its my 1st build) is to make it to 20k miles, so far so good!

ekracer_83

hardcore rice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice! after all the work, updates us on the motor in the car.

ekracer_83

hardcore rice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice! after all the work, updates us on the motor in the car.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:thumbs up

Hmm, people usually recommend OEM head gaskets for even high horsepower builds to an extent. I hear Cometics aren't that great.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, here's an update.... blew a head gasket! $667(labor) + $37 (head gasket) = $ alotta money!!!!! But since I know how to do it..... its only gonna cost me $37 + 4hours....

Motor is still running good and is great on gas mileage (35mpg). So far is has a lil over 12k miles on it. Thanks again for all the help you guys.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
never man..... its a Honda and I love it. Imma stick with these badass cars even if I ever win the lotto (of course it wouldnt be my DD but...)

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
never man..... its a Honda and I love it. Imma stick with these badass cars even if I ever win the lotto (of course it wouldnt be my DD but...)
Nice! glad you got your car back. a trick for replacing head gasket is when you take the harmonic balancer off put rope down in the first cylinder so that it locks up which make loosening and tightening the balancer alot easier ;)
also your coolant block off trick works pretty good. i did that to my car and aint ever runnin hot coolant through my im again. makes tb replacement alot easier too.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, so I changed the head gasket this past sunday and while doing so I found out piston #1 had hit the top of the cylinder head and a little chip, 1/2" in size had broken off. It's all fkd up! The car is smoking a tiny bit and I dont drive past 60mph/3000rpm.

So that's the bad news... W/e, Imma go on boost on the budget, just to get it running asap. My goal is 250whp d/d. I will be using my stock y8 head for now. Gonna get low comp vitaras (dont know if imma bore it), and new acl race bearings. OEM honda head gasket, my same arps, same sk2 int mani...

So I already have a few questions:

-What size intercooler can I use and still maintain my fogs and a/c p/s?

-Can I use my stock injectors for now?

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Whatever ended up happening with your ticket??

and im glad youre ditching the N/A and going F/I. N/A D16 sucks balls.
Its not really teh size of the IC the prevents you from keeping your fogs its the placement of the end tanks. Try to get them raised higher up so the piping goes on top of the fogs. 'Na mean?

And no dont use your stock injectors. no dont use your stock injectors. No dont use your stock injectors. Get at least DSM 440's w/ resistor box to give it enough fuel. And dont street tune please.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^ Fixed most of the tickets and got more whie fixing the old ones... lol... At least I can legally drive (DL, INS, REG)...

I definitely wont treet tune it this time. I'll keep you all posted!

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, so I changed the head gasket this past sunday and while doing so I found out piston #1 had hit the top of the cylinder head and a little chip, 1/2" in size had broken off. It's all fkd up! The car is smoking a tiny bit and I dont drive past 60mph/3000rpm.

So that's the bad news... W/e, Imma go on boost on the budget, just to get it running asap. My goal is 250whp d/d. I will be using my stock y8 head for now. Gonna get low comp vitaras (dont know if imma bore it), and new acl race bearings. OEM honda head gasket, my same arps, same sk2 int mani...

So I already have a few questions:

-What size intercooler can I use and still maintain my fogs and a/c p/s?

-Can I use my stock injectors for now?
my personal opinion
do a .5mm bore (20 over) with 75.5mm vitaras so you dont get piston slap.
i think a 27x7 one will work, but im not 100% sure
i would get some 440cc ones at least bro