d16y8 swap 98 civic

SIRemy

Looking for an inexpensive/fun swap. Think I can get 250+ hp out of. D16y8? What's the difference between y8 and z6? Help meee

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Biggest dif is the y8 is OBD2 and z6 is OBD1. If you have to be street legal for SMOG testing (or what ever your state calls those tests I've never had to deal with before (ND and AK don't smog)) I don't think you can get away with using an OBD1 motor in an OBD2 car. The Z6 has the better block while the Y8 has a better head. Z6 block is a little stronger and came factory w/ tunable P28 ECU which is a huge bonus (though obviously you can use a jumper for OBD2/OBD1. The Y8 has the better tranny with closer gearing as well. All in all, stock for stock (no modification to either), they aren't that far different I don't think. Maybe someone else has a better answer "stock for stock". To get 250hp though out of either one, you better be boosting and now you're talking a whole new ball of wax. Tune, build, internals... etc

I have ZERO experience with the Y8 so i'm sure someone else will have a much better clue than I. I've run two cars with z6's this year and one will be boosted shortly but neither have been built.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Either one is a decent motor but 250 whp is going to be expensive on either of those platforms.

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
by the time you get too 250 whp your going too need some sort of forced induction... you would save alot more money by just going with a type r or a gsr then go from their. fyi y8's have good acceleration. :D

dck1ng69

5+ Year Member
If you dont have to worry about smog, or have someone to "help" you out like we do in CA lol...I would do a b20 swap first, then turbo it. You could also do a b20vtec setup or b20vtec boosted...and u can use pretty much any b series tranny