D16y8 timing belt cover removal ---> FOR STYLE!!

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've seen some y8's on the internet with the timing belt cover removed. I think it looks really cool.

Question: Will this be bad for my engine in the long run? Any long-term damage that could result if I pulled the cover off and left it off?

(Not trying to ask a dumb question -- just couldn't find anything on this after a few Google searches.)

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you mean just the top part or the whole cover? it def wouldnt be pretty if anything fell in there with the car running

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had mine off for over 3 years. Not one issue. Its actually really helpful when working on the car, w/that cover already off. Just leave the bottom cover on, and be careful.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had mine off for over 3 years. Not one issue. Its actually really helpful when working on the car, w/that cover already off. Just leave the bottom cover on, and be careful.
Yeah, that's what I figured.

hardcore97 said:
it def wouldnt be pretty if anything fell in there with the car running
:word: I've never seen a B-series with any cam gear covers, so I figured it might entail somewhat similar risks leaving the plastic cap off of my SOHC.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for style??? i dunno about that one.
mine's like that, but only b/c it came like that and i haven't gotten a cover yet.

DAMN RICAN

5+ Year Member
i think its hot but i left mine on there because my engine isnt something to be showing off yet!

charles_00Civic

CC'S Longest Running Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't just take the top off. If a screw of something falls into the buttom you're f**ked. It's all or none.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't just take the top off. If a screw of something falls into the buttom you're f**ked. It's all or none.
Id rather have the upper off, not the lower.......when your driving, if something gets up into the timing belt area without the lower cover on, you basically done for. But, if you have just the lower on, and the upper off, your better off. The upper portion is closer to the hood, so theres less chance of something getting in there.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i took the top off, left the bottom. no problems yet :what:

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ive got my top down too. easy access to timing belt and cam gears... even though i dont have adjustable gears :lol:

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
a lot easier on timing belt changes or basically anything on the driver side of the motor, I've never heard of anyone dropping anything in there and causing problems, if you do by accident, that is what they make magnets for. I don't have the upper on my h22, but on my daily hatch with the gsr, it really didn't matter so I left them on. If you want them off, then just take off the cover, but only the upper, because the bottom is actually important for stuff.