D16Y8 Turbo Parts List

BoostAddiction

Boosted grocery getter
5+ Year Member
Yea, if youre taking the motor apart, I'd just build it. You forgot a lot of miscellaneous gaskets/nuts/bolts/etc. I just replaced every gasket for the exhaust manifold to the cat. Theres quite a bit of nuts/bolts you may need and while it doesn't seem like much, it adds up. Personally, i would move the boost controller up to priority 1. You may or may not get to your goalswithout it

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the info, but as I said in the beginning of the post I'm getting a free Edelbrock kit with some connections. So I'll use whatever they wanna give me...

What would you suggest as far as engine management? I know only the very basics.
Well there are several you could run, it really depends on your tuner. Most tuners now adays all know how to tune with hondata.. I have hondata s200 in a p28 for my y8 motor. I would suggest a s300 because it has more upgraded features than s200.

It has boost by gear which allows you to literally set boost for a certain gear, so you gain maximum traction. You can find hondatas for around 300 but if you want s300 you'll be spending upwards of 500..

Theres always free ways of tuning programs such as chrome.. but i wouldnt suggest that..

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well there are several you could run, it really depends on your tuner. Most tuners now adays all know how to tune with hondata.. I have hondata s200 in a p28 for my y8 motor. I would suggest a s300 because it has more upgraded features than s200.

It has boost by gear which allows you to literally set boost for a certain gear, so you gain maximum traction. You can find hondatas for around 300 but if you want s300 you'll be spending upwards of 500..

Theres always free ways of tuning programs such as chrome.. but i wouldnt suggest that..
The Hondata website says $600 for the s300... it's a lot, but something to look into though. I may drop by my local Hondata dealer and ask about it.

Though I could get boost by gear also if I go with an electronic boost controller.

Why wouldn't you suggest Crome? Is it just because it's more difficult, or is it because people are less successful with it?

Yea, if youre taking the motor apart, I'd just build it. You forgot a lot of miscellaneous gaskets/nuts/bolts/etc. I just replaced every gasket for the exhaust manifold to the cat. Theres quite a bit of nuts/bolts you may need and while it doesn't seem like much, it adds up.
Oh, are you talking about just replacing all of them with new OEM parts?

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
well thats dumb of you to say....

crome is a very good tuning program along with neptune, uberdata, etc..

just take the car to a local dyno and have them dyno tune it for you... simple as that...

your gonna have to buy a chipped ecu from www.xenocron.com

then take it to a dyno and have them tune the car/ecu for you... probably gonna be about 500 bucks for the tune... but trust me its worth it if you want the engine to last

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well thats dumb of you to say....

crome is a very good tuning program along with neptune, uberdata, etc..

just take the car to a local dyno and have them dyno tune it for you... simple as that...

your gonna have to buy a chipped ecu from www.xenocron.com

then take it to a dyno and have them tune the car/ecu for you... probably gonna be about 500 bucks for the tune... but trust me its worth it if you want the engine to last
A chipped ECU like this one?

http://www.xenocron.com/chipped-obd1-vtec-ecu-p-129.html

Is that all I would have to buy if I'm going to have a shop tune it?

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The only reason I am against chrome is because some tuners in my area do not tune it, its almost like its strictly hondata. I guess i couldve worded it a little better but im sure the op gets what i mean.

People make good numbers with chrome, but Im stil suggesting going with hondata, cant go wrong.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, I have to talk to the tuners in my area and see what they'll do.

Does anyone know any good tuners near Herndon, VA? I know I'll be able to find some, but if anyone knows which are good...

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Heres my input... Theres alot lol
Ive been playing with hondas for a while.
my single cam put out 270whp and 245wtq on a super conservative tune. I drive it everyday and everywhere. I hit boost all day everyday. My build cost around $4,000 with all the s**t I broke and the tune. Another $200 for a racegas tune and i will easily see 400+whp.

Only turbo a D series if youre on a budget.
Dont pay people to do work for you. Its better to learn than to pay.
Try to find things used. Dont buy an entire kit. Theyre expensive.

If youre going for under 400 whp a D series is great. Vitara/eagle and arps is all youll need motor wise. Almost 90% of the time no machine work is needed. When you take the motor apart, you can learn to read the bearings. If theyre good pick up a set of $12 telescope gauges from harbor freight and check the bore. walk the thing down and make sure theyre not out of round. If everything checks, check the bearings.D-series,org has a write up of how to match the numbers to find out the bearing thickness. Its simple cause eagle marks their rods with honda codes. Then youll need to shim the oil pump and youre good to go.

Action clutch 2ms-exospeed has em. Theyre really nice and grab like no other. Little pricey but worht it
I would recommend gettin an ebay turbo with a restricter. If the turbo does decide to go, send it to blasstperformance in canada and get it rebuilt w. garret s**t for $260. 150-ebay turbo + 260 rebuilt = New Garrett turbo for $410 Nicee!
Get a cast mani with the external wastegate in the middle of the runners. theyre on ebay130 shipped.
Wastegate and bov you can get knockoffs. All it is is a spring.
Ebay intercooler pipping- Try to find the ones with the T clamps. If youre lucky, you can pick it up used with a bov for cheap.
intercooler- You can get the chineese one. Theyre pretty good for 120 shipped lol
Injectors.. DSM 450cc with resistor box-around 75 shipped
map sensor- stock honda is good for 10. 2.5 bar motorola is good for 21 psi and its only 35 from xenocron.
Turbo timer- not needed. Your oil temps get hotter when the car sits in one spot(except maybe after 10 mins). Either find a turbo that uses coolant or just take it easy for the 5 mins before you park. You wont be able to hit your kill switches if your turbo timer wants to run the car.

tuning and engine management-dont be cheap. pick up a p28 or p72 or p13(h22 i think) ecu.
Hit up Chris at Xenocron to chip it. Hes the f**king man with ecus.
Youre also going to need a good tuner. Once again Xenocron if youre close. Hes one of the best. Only person who touches my car. He uses ECtune. Lots of options. I would recommend it.

any questions.. lemme know

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I forgot..
exhaust-3" catback from ebay. 190 shipped and 2 year warrenty
Catchcan- you can make one of these out of a can. I would recommend this for the blow by. Every motor has blow by. Put a couple fittings on the valve cover so the air can get out. This will help save your motor.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Heres my input... Theres alot lol

Only turbo a D series if youre on a budget.
Dont pay people to do work for you. Its better to learn than to pay.
Try to find things used. Dont buy an entire kit. Theyre expensive.
I totally agree with your post, but some people dont have tools, engine lift/stand, etc.. to do all of this. this is where you end up having to take it to a shop.

Can u post the link for the 3" exhaust for 190 shipped please.. i might look into this.

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^you can port the oil pump but what about the rest of the block and the girdle. If youre not going to port that too then it doesnt really do much. Its not gunna hurt tho so you might aswell.

I totally agree with your post, but some people dont have tools, engine lift/stand, etc.. to do all of this. this is where you end up having to take it to a shop.

Can u post the link for the 3" exhaust for 190 shipped please.. i might look into this.
Husky tool set- on sale this week@ home depot for $60
Engine stand rental maybe $50 a day.
Google Haborfrieght tools. They have tools for cheap. jacks, stands all that

It was something like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00-Civic-3-Turbo-Catback-Exhaust-Muffler-2-4d-4pc_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4149c2bd69QQitemZ280410373481QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I have been on that site numerous times and have been looking for feedback.. can they make it a direct fit? i am going to use a highflow cat so im sure if i told them they could make it happen...