D16Z6 Stock Turbo

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
I have a '95 Civic with a D16Z6 engine that has been freshly rebuilt both top and bottom. It has a Zex 59100 Cam, Blox Intake Manifold, DC Headers, AEM Cold Air Intake and full exhaust. I want to turbo the car. My question is if I got a small turbo and chose to use the stock pistons and valvetrain, what would be the highest setting I'd be able to safely run? 5-8lbs boost?

-David

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
200 whp is a safe number for a daily driven turbo d. You can push more like 230-240 on a good tune, but you start to get to the limit of the stock ringlands and rod bolts at that point.

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
Wow... um thanks, I'm, well aware of the engine's durability, what I was asking was actually what a safe PSI setting would be. I've heard that people have run up to 12 PSI with a stock engine, but I want mine to actually LAST. Most people seem to suggest keeping it under 8 PSI. I just wanted opinons from people who may already done it.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wow... um thanks, I'm, well aware of the engine's durability, what I was asking was actually what a safe PSI setting would be. I've heard that people have run up to 12 PSI with a stock engine, but I want mine to actually LAST. Most people seem to suggest keeping it under 8 PSI. I just wanted opinons from people who may already done it.
I've built several turbo hondas and other vehicles, so I fit the already done it bill. Psi is meaningless unless you have a compressor map, a detailed list of the entire turbo setup and any other vehicle or engine mods. A small t25 turbo may need 9-10 psi to make 200 whp, and a large t3/t4 may need only 4 psi. The same turbo on an equal length manifold with a dump pipe will make more power per psi than one on a crappy log manifold flowing through a restrictive exhaust, etc. Your basic question is wrong, my answer is right- 180-200 whp is a comfortable power level for an internally stock z6 to handle. Come up with a power goal first, have your tuner build your kit around that, and don't worry what psi your boost gauge reads.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I've built several turbo hondas and other vehicles, so I fit the already done it bill. Psi is meaningless unless you have a compressor map, a detailed list of the entire turbo setup and any other vehicle or engine mods. A small t25 turbo may need 9-10 psi to make 200 whp, and a large t3/t4 may need only 4 psi. The same turbo on an equal length manifold with a dump pipe will make more power per psi than one on a crappy log manifold flowing through a restrictive exhaust, etc. Your basic question is wrong, my answer is right- 180-200 whp is a comfortable power level for an internally stock z6 to handle. Come up with a power goal first, have your tuner build your kit around that, and don't worry what psi your boost gauge reads.
What he said. PSI is meaningless when there is so many different sized turbos and variations of parts such as manifold, intercooler, wastegate, etc. You would want to read up on some build threads that have a similar engine setup as yours, don't be afraid to ask questions, etc.

Once you've pieced together your kit and have bolted on your car, get it tuned by a reputable and knowledgeable tuner. They will tune it to get a balance of power and reliability when you have the right instruments such as oil pressure gauge, oil temperature, boost gauge, and wideband O2 gauge.

jerryscherry

www.turbod16.com has a lot of good information, go read the noob/faq section, it explains almost EVERYTHING for someone who has never went boost before including me (:, i plan to go boost in the future too d16y8 :D. good luck

Youthanasia

5+ Year Member
This is Gran Turismo where you buy a turbo, bolt it on a stock engine, and your ready to go. Your going to be getting into it pretty deep. If i where you I'd just buy another engine, build it to handle boost, and go buy a good turbo/piping/manifold/etc.. Stuff like this i wouldn't cheap out on, too much can go wrong. What turbo are you planning to use? Is it a s**t kit from Ebay?

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if the stock sleeves are in good shape they can handle 10psi no problem. owever like stated above, psi means absolutely nothing.