disable using a key to open your doors

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
trying to add another security layer. i've read about this before on here but can't find how to do it. most thieves have a master key, so disabling the key cylinder in the door from working protects you from that. does anyone know how to do this? thanks.

CScivic22

5+ Year Member
you could always just take off the door panel and pull the rod from the cylinder off it so the lock cylinder no longer works. but if you dont have keyless entry you cannot do this.

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that would work. just hope your battery doesnt go dead

Beej

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also, to be cleaner you could get the rear handles off a sedan and put 'em on the front.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A master key? I'd like to know how that's possible considering each key cylinder is mechanically positioned to only unlock / lock to a certain key.

ryanM

i have a master key that will turn any lock or ignition

its called a flathead screwdriver.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've always wondered how people do that... I've seen the inside of my key cylinder and how it works. I don't understand how a screw driver would work. There are pins that slide up and down and they are measured according to each key so when you put the key in, they all move to a certain position that allows the inner "chamber" to turn to unlock / lock the door. A screw driver is flat. I don't get it lol. Unless you jam it in there and bust the s**t out of the lock...

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
wrecks the column but gets the job done. flathead screwdrivers also open windows :\

yes john, just bash thru it. they're not concerned about keeping the locks intact.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Let's not talk about ways to open locks...

just throwing that out there.

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i tried pulling the rod today, but it seemed like it was on there for good.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it would be more of an aesthetic move than a security move imo...

aztecracer

Proud owner of an EJ8
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What I did was got some rear door handles from a 4 door car and replace the front ones with them on my coupe, I have keyless entry and my battery is relocated in the trunk. I also keep the trunk locked from handle next to the driver so far its been good for me.

B16a2_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my friend has used my key on 2 of my guys civics ..just wiggled the key a little n got it to work...heard its possible, i dont know how but i cant do it on the same cars that he did it to ... so maybe any key can be a master key if you know how ???

i did the rear handle thing.. battery went dead and had to climb through the hatch haha .. its a hassle i put the key hole handle back in but just the drivers side .. its more looks than security... if they want it theyll take it .. sorry but its the truth... if you feel safer go for it...

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
nothing's stopping them from just breaking the window...

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nothing's stopping them from just breaking the window...
it's all about layers...you might stop them if they don't want to break your windows and attract attention to themselves. you could've just saved your car by doing just this one thing.

leftywill3

I AM TAMARACK!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea the window is the biggest deterent to thieves just a matter if they really want to smash it or not.
the lock isnt going to stop them from that haha

aztecracer

Proud owner of an EJ8
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my friend has used my key on 2 of my guys civics ..just wiggled the key a little n got it to work...heard its possible, i dont know how but i cant do it on the same cars that he did it to ... so maybe any key can be a master key if you know how ???
true and ive done it playing pranks on other friends and it works its just a matter of playing with the key

i did the rear handle thing.. battery went dead and had to climb through the hatch haha .. its a hassle i put the key hole handle back in but just the drivers side .. its more looks than security... if they want it theyll take it .. sorry but its the truth... if you feel safer go for it...
i dont think its the safest but i do think its one less option

and ofcourse someone who smashes your window is a rookie in stealing cars or a crackie who saw something inside that can sell. hes not interested in the actual car people who want your car and know what they are taking would leave it as a last resort to take the car cuz 4 them its an attention call

YAYO951

YAYO951
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok Any Honda Key Is A Mastr Key All U Gotta Do Is Shave The b***h Not That I Kno How But Its True Ive Seen It Done