Distributor recommendations

CivicVP

5+ Year Member
Hey guys, I recently got a 91 Civic LX with 89k miles. Unfortunately it does have a starting problem. Runs fine once it's started, IF it starts. Doesn't start 90% of the time. I figured it's the distributor but the hood latch is broken so I can't even open it. I'll deal with it later when I get the time, but, what brand or model do you recommend if I wanted to replace the distributor? Is this the kind that is vulnerable to oil getting in there and messing it up? Is this the right part number? 30100-PM5-A07

Any advice about anything is highly appreciated. I want to make this car last forever by driving it very little.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
First, fix the hood latch. Then check for spark to see if you are getting spark to start off with. That will tell you a lot of things then you can diagnose from there. It could just be fouled spark plugs.

Its actually common to get oil in the spark plug tubes due to old valve cover gaskets. But get that latch fixed first and then lets discuss your options after further diagnosis.

CivicVP

5+ Year Member
First, fix the hood latch. Then check for spark to see if you are getting spark to start off with. That will tell you a lot of things then you can diagnose from there. It could just be fouled spark plugs.

Its actually common to get oil in the spark plug tubes due to old valve cover gaskets. But get that latch fixed first and then lets discuss your options after further diagnosis.
Will do. Is there anything in the hood latch mechanism that is a timebomb? Any plastic parts that would make me just buy a whole new latch? Or should I take the bumper off, get the hood open, remove the latching mechanism, de-grease it, re-grease it?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Will do. Is there anything in the hood latch mechanism that is a timebomb? Any plastic parts that would make me just buy a whole new latch? Or should I take the bumper off, get the hood open, remove the latching mechanism, de-grease it, re-grease it?
Once you get it open, you will know what needs to be replaced. The latch is pretty simple and mostly metal parts with a cable. Your local junkyard has them a dime a dozen Im sure, maybe it is a 88-91 now that I see that.