://DIY • 92-95 Civic Cluster Swap - from NO tach to TACH (retaining OEM miles)

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay first I'm sure there are tons of us who actually know how to do this... I figured I'd just share incase there are those who do not know.

Scenario: 1993 Honda Civic DX (autotragic :thumbdown ) - No Tach
Goal:: swap to tach and retain miles of actual the chassis

Here is what my car had to start with: Giant ass temp and gas gauge.

here is the eBay purchased EX auto Gauge... DIRTY!!!

First step is getting the plastic shield off, this isn't exactly easy and requires a bit of patience as it is glued to the black piece... just take your time and slowly lift up on each major end

Once the plastic shield is off, the rest is a breeze, just push back these tabs, there are 3 on the top and 3 on the bottom, they generally come out with ease

Now I have both opened up and ready to at this point, swap out the speedo to retain my actually chassis miles

First thing is remove these two screws, having looked back at it, I don't think you need to remove them at all, but these two looked pretty nasty compared to the one that came with my car, so I swapped em..

remove these 3 screws on the backside of the speedo

now that it's free, pull it out, repeat on the other cluster and replace

now that I had two clusters and double the parts, I took the best looking part of each cluster to get a better looking cluster

cleaned everything up before putting it back together

use a bit of this to keep the plastic back together

and voila, I now have a tach, gas/temp together... and my new addition to the right, the OEM clock w00t w00t

more pics are here - http://gallery.me.com/danielkj...osaic

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:thumbup:

baller7764

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice write up. I noticed a weird thing that happens if you have a manual cluster and you swap in a auto one. The old one had a shifter light and now instead of the shifter light comeing on the new one (since there isn't one) the cruise control light will pop on. Haha it's kinda weird but it's nice to keep the shifter light.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up good write up

Finding Nismo

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What's the glue for? I have never seen that on a cluster before. Was your old one that way as well?
I see now, you took just the clear from one and put it on the other without using the black bezel portion as well.

the1nicko

5+ Year Member
wait a second, how did you hook up the tach? Is there a plug for it back there or is your just not functional?

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wait a second, how did you hook up the tach? Is there a plug for it back there or is your just not functional?
okay, um... did you READ the write up or just look at the pics?

thedb63

5+ Year Member
i did this and my turn signals dont work now has anyone had this problem? if so i would like to know how to fix it thank you in advance