DIY Acura RSX Seats Into 6th Gen Civic

Ice Cream Kid

Alright everybody, I'm making this thread because I bought some RSX seats yesterday, and I'm hoping to help someone out with this :D

Now then, this is sort of a dodgy tutorial as I was trying to do everything and take pictures, but hopefully you can get the gist of it

Before we begin today's lesson, my father requested I show you this magnet :roll:

Anyways, now that my rant is over, maybe we can get this thing going, hm?

Materials:
Some bits of steel (I used 1/8", I've seen 3/16" as well, I just happened to have this handy)
A few new nuts and bolts (I used 5/16" x 3/4", grade 8 bolts)
Screwdriver, both flathead and phillips
Drill
Second drill battery (the first will probably die)
A good, SHARP set of drill bits
The seats (duh)
The civic (if you don't have this just go home)

First things first (and of course I have no pictures) pull the stock seats
This is pretty easy to do, slide the seat all the way forward, two bolts in the back, slide it all the way back, two more in the front
Be warned though, the passenger's side seat rails ARE spring loaded, and if you're me, they'll scare the living crap out of you

Step two is to cut your RSX seat rails. I've seen this done a few ways, but the way I chose was to just take a sawzall and cut the actual part that mounts to the floor off, taking the two rivets with it

It's important that you get both of those rivets out, but we'll get back to that

Now then, got that part cut off? Yeah? Cool. Step next one, make the brackets

This is also pretty easy. I used two pieces of 3" x 2", but you may be better off using 4" x 2" as I ran into a bit of a problem getting them to fit just right
At any rate, you're gonna wanna bend them so they match the original civic's seat rails
Observe

And the actual brackets will look something like this (you'll need two per seat)

Now that we've got the brackets bent, I'd like to bring up a very important point. When you're drilling these, Go from the smallest bit to the one you need, one by one

It might take a bit more time, but trust me, it saves you the trouble of trying to go straight from a pilot hole to a 5/16" diameter hole

Don't hate me, but I didn't take any pictures of the most frustrating stage of this whole ordeal

Now you're gonna wanna look at the seat rails on the RSX seats. See how each has two holes? Mark your holes where the brackets meet the floor, drill the holes, stick a bolt in them to hold them down, and mark the holes for the seats (this means placing the seat in the car and lining it up)
After that you drill the new holes, and, using those sweet assorted nuts and bolts, bolt together the seats and the brackets (use the front holes for ease)

Now that you've got the brackets made and bolted onto the RSX seats, bolt them in

There's the driver's seat bolted down

And both

Now, enjoy how much harder you can corner without flying into the passenger seat or the door :D

Hopefully someone will get something out of this, thanks for reading :D

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice write up. You should follow the correct DIY write up and have it in the correct section. Never been a fan of how big amd bulky they look in the civic but glad you took the needed steps to get them in.

Ice Cream Kid

Woops ,_, sorry about that, I wrote this after six frustrating hours of seat bracket making and I didn't realize what I did
Can a mod maybe move it or something?